Options

Government Contract Jobs

myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
My IT career has been headed down the government contractor road for the last four years and I was wondering what's your opinion on the future of government contractors. Will the government ever downsize again? (They're some noticeable downsizing in other areas besides IT) How difficult is it to transfer to the private sector?

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    The govt (defence sector) will be doing 30 percent cuts over the next 3 years. Its long overdue.

Other sectors (homeland security and others) have been hiring up so I expect to see a lot of people jumping over that way.

As far as getting into the private sector. I was able to get a job pretty fast. I had to take a small pay cut(personal reasons). I also see the talent level to be much higher than I saw in the defense industry which is a good thing to me.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I work for DISA as a HP contractor and I have to say depending on your site you work with and the type of contract they will not cut you. However, I would still look into GOVT positions if that option is available to you.

Though if you want to go private sector I been told that its really easy because of the experience you obtain within the govt and the secret clearences shows how trustworthy you are.

I am now in a System Administrator position for a site of 300 on site and at least 100 of site. Its a lot of fun!