Options

wSUS on DC?

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey guys,

Ever run into any trouble placing wSUS on a DC? Any reason why I wouldn't want to do this?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did it in my lab because it is just a lab. I don't think you would want to do it in the real world though.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It should be fine in a non production environment but a production DC should be just that...a production DC.
    Someone could post the argument of having so few servers that WSUS needs to go on a DC as you don't have that many servers. If that is the case then you may need to evaluate if WSUS is even needed in the first place.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    It should be fine in a non production environment but a production DC should be just that...a production DC.
    Someone could post the argument of having so few servers that WSUS needs to go on a DC as you don't have that many servers. If that is the case then you may need to evaluate if WSUS is even needed in the first place.

Great post against WSUS. Only thing I would like to mention is that in very small environments, you sometimes want to combine a lot of functions. (small business server).
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have about 10 DC's (SBS) running WSUS. No problems here.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, we going experiment on our NOC with wSUS and SCCM. Still trapped server/resources so it seemed like reasonable place to place the service for now.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rsutton wrote: »
    I have about 10 DC's (SBS) running WSUS. No problems here.
    Wasn't thinking about on SBS. I've only set up one SBS and didn't even install WSUS as the office is small and the office manager wanted to limit amount of IT support which would be needed.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I started here we had three Windows Server 2003 boxes. A DC, an Exchange server and a document imaging server. The DC had DNS, DHCP & WSUS running on it. We had no issues with it at all. This is a ~80 user environment. It ran that way for about 1.5 years I think.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Deployed and working as expected. Thanks guys!
    -Daniel