Options

Decompile .net DLL

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey so does anybody do this (or decompiling any DLL) on any regular basis? What do you guys use?

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey so does anybody do this (or decompiling any DLL) on any regular basis? What do you guys use?

More to the point is why would you want to in this day and age. Unless you have lots of ASM under your belt there is not much point and the .Net one changes with the wind.

Then there is Stevie's mantra "Developers Developers Developers"; oops wrong one. uhh

Eni - Meni - Meini - Mo, decompiling our code is illegal - yo!

Yea I used to do it before .Net when there were a couple of commercial tools on the market and the last pass of a compile was sure to be pure assembler. Now the thought is linked to self immolation with a can of petrol and a bic lighter.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Just so you (and everyone else) knows, this is our code lol. We had some consultants come in and in short we (they) lost the source code for the dll files---a few years ago. So now we want to know what's inside. There is a tool from redgate that I am going to try after I take a quick nap: Red Gate Software - Download .NET Reflector

I don't know much about assembly or coding for that matter and this is basically the beginning of my crash course (via buggy dll with missing source code). Hell. Yea.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    OK I thought you were talking about the framework itself. If you have no experience with Visual Studio then you are in for more than just a crash course. I am really surprised that your company did not have a list of deliverables or an escrow agreement.

You sound like me when I was younger. No one wants to do it? I will do it, what's the worse that can happen? We all might learn something good or bad.

That which does not kill me etc. etc.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    TheShadow wrote: »
    OK I thought you were talking about the framework itself. If you have no experience with Visual Studio then you are in for more than just a crash course. I am really surprised that your company did not have a list of deliverables or an escrow agreement.

You sound like me when I was younger. No one wants to do it? I will do it, what's the worse that can happen? We all might learn something good or bad.

That which does not kill me etc. etc.

Lol exactly. I understand it isn't going to be easy (our developers have just said F it) but they also say they want to see what's inside. If you saw my other thread you would know that basically I am probably going to end up some kind of JR developer (I think) within the next few months or so. I think I can figure it all out. But this part is going to be pretty intense. But it sounds fun and I'm excited so its all good lol, I think.

As far as the code, I mean I have no idea. It was like 6 years ago and lots of things have change (including two now admins and the old admin getting the boot).
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Red Gate Software - Download .NET Reflector

From Red Gate. The best one I've seen.
    Edit:
    Did not see your second message until after I replied...