Options

Background Intelligent Transfer Service - Vista Download Issue

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hey All,

Im going to throw an odd one out here in the off chance someone else has seen, dealt with and HOPEFULLY resolved.

Quick run down, I work in IT but do jobs on the side. A friend has given me there laptop and complained that when she uses her wireless card it absolutely eats the credit up.

I tested the laptop and saw that it was receiving anywhere from 200KB to 1MB per second even when in an idle state. I confirmed all updates on all applications were up to date (windows, visrus scan, anti-spyware.etc).

Anyways to cut a long story short after several tests i was able to identify the problem was being caused by the SVChost.exe i then identified the process ID which pointed me in the direction of around 10 possible service culprits so one by one i went through and stopped them whilst keeping an eye on the RX of the laptop.

When i got to the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, BINGO!! The RX stopped dead in its tracks. The internet still worked fine and after several reads on the internet i saw that it was a sort of downlaod manager for windows updates, and live explorer.

Whilst this service is good to have its not critical. That being said I was hoping i might be able to fix the issue instead of simply stopping the service from running. Which brings me to here.

I only stumbled on one other post in a forum about this issue and it received no response. The laptop is running Windows Vista with SP2 i did find an update to the BITS service but when i tried to install it, it said not necessary on this laptop so i figure it was a patch released in the SP.

So im out of ideas and was just hoping someone out there might have seen this before? If so what steps did u take to resolve it? If worse comes to worse i will disable the service but thats not ideal.

Thanks in advance

Comments