Options

Good resource for T1/T3 Configurations and Usage

I'm trying to up my telecom knowledge especially while on the job hunt. What is a good online/free resource regarding configuring T1/T3's clear or channelized?

I have some information in my "Network Warrior" book regarding setting up dedicated voice vs data channels on t1s and multiplexing to get the full bandwidth for data out of a T3 but where else can I find more examples of configs and implementation?

I've been setting up various scales of my "T1" between my CSU/DSU cards the pair of 2611's I have. I am running just a few data channels (320kb) or full clear channel but I would like to know more :)

Comments

• Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Not sure how much information you're gunning for, but in my experience, configuring CSUs for T-1 is not that difficult at all. You've got to make sure you account for partial or full T-1 bandwidth depending on what kind of requirement you have. Next, you've got to configure your clock - whether you're using a station/GPS type timing or getting timing from the commercial network. Third, you've got to match (in most cases, unless it's auto detect) the signaling standard that telco is providing you (AMI/NRZ/B8ZS/etc).

My advice is to get your hands on some telecommunications literature that covers T-1/T-3 technologies in-depth. I've found that networking resources explain very little in terms of T-carrier, multiplexing, SONET, etc. to the degree you're looking for. Remember, there is a vast telecommunications infrastructure that works at the core of any WAN-based network that is often times, left unexplained because it's provided by the telco "cloud."
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    All You Wanted to Know About T1 But Were Afraid to Ask

http://http://www.dcbnet.com/notes/9611t1.html
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283