Please point me in the right direction

fatlikeyamumfatlikeyamum Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all

I work in the electronic security field in australia (alarms, access control, cameras) where a lot of equipment is turning IP or has the capability eg a lot of cameras have turned IP or customers want to view their cameras through their recorders from home

in training i went through some of the ccna course, ip subnets ect (but alot has gone from my memory). i am looking to further my skills in the 'networking' area. now i dont need to know every single thing, but i would like to know enough to network in homes or small offices, and know enough to be able to talk with and understand terms with IT staff onsite at large sites where i could not due the work myself due to certain securities in place (eg mac address filtering?)

now let me first say i have experience with pc's and currently watching the cbt nugget videos for the A+ certificate. Even though this will not help my current job pay/security its cheap enough for me to get. so far i am 1/2 way through and there has been nothing i dont already know or complicated enough for me not to remember.

i have noticed there are 2 options for me to take - ccent or network+

1. what do you think would be the one to study for and attempt to pass?
2. with the ccent can you just take the test without doing a course? i know for network+ you can

thanks

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I completed my ICND1 studies this summer (need a refresher now, and I also need alot of subnetting practice). Never actually took the CCENT exam, though. Now I'm studying Network+.

Network+ is probably the way to go if you want a broad overview and strong foundational understanding of networking. However, if you work with Cisco equipment alot and need to work with the IOS, you could go the Cisco route. I think the Cisco exams would be easier to follow after completing Network+.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd probably do the Net+ first. It was enough for me to understand the network setups in small offices and such. It'll also give you some background before studying for the CCNA if you choose to.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.