My little accomplishment of the week. :)

katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
When I was hired where I work, there had not been an on site IT person in over 3 years. So that means a bunch of contractors would come in the server room and leave it a complete mess.

Before I touched the room, it had a pile of trash 4 feet long and 3 high. I spent the last week or so cleaning it up and organizing things. Here are the results.

Old: Old. on Twitpic New: New. on Twitpic

My next project: re-wiring the server racks. Not fun, but great experience for me.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is that where you'll be working (your desk) ?
    Sounds like your first few weeks will be busy. Best of luck with your new job.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    katierose wrote: »
    When I was hired where I work, there had not been an on site IT person in over 3 years. So that means a bunch of contractors would come in the server room and leave it a complete mess.

Before I touched the room, it had a pile of trash 4 feet long and 3 high. I spent the last week or so cleaning it up and organizing things. Here are the results.

Old: Old. on Twitpic New: New. on Twitpic

My next project: re-wiring the server racks. Not fun, but great experience for me.

Would you like to come organize my kid's room and run Cat 6a cable throughout my new house?

MS
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Good job, I've seen tons of messy data centers; some admins are just lazy...

This will definitely make your life easier icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Yes this is my new home. I was originally sharing an office with someone who had students coming in and out all day so I will enjoy the noise of servers running instead. :)
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Looks awsome :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks guys. Yes this is my new home. I was originally sharing an office with someone who had students coming in and out all day so I will enjoy the noise of servers running instead. :)

You may want to get some hearing protection. It doesn't look like that is a large room, but over time it can permanently damage your hearing.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    You may want to get some hearing protection. It doesn't look like that is a large room, but over time it can permanently damage your hearing.

+1. Definitely grab some plugs or muffs.
    Seriously? Wow. Would it be a bad or good idea to have some nice muffs to listen to music with?
    Just talked to my boss about it. We are going to try and look for another spot but it will be hard since there is pretty much no space here. I will probably be put in a cubicle within another department and be bothered by noise there. But at least it won't make me go deaf. Thanks guys.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    powerfool wrote: »

Yeah I had to work in a situation like that for a short period and at first it did not bother me because it was not that loud at all, but over time I would hear the noise even when I was not at work.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Based on what I see in the photo and compared to everything else i've seen your rack doesn't look bad at all. Although it could be improved.

Before you re-wire the rack make sure your boss knows your doing it, your probably going to want/have to do it after hours.

Things to consider having with you: velcro, zip ties, label maker (if you plan on labeling the ends of the cables), box/spool of cable (if you plan on personalizing patch cables)
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Katie that looks great! Nice job
    Priston wrote: »
    Based on what I see in the photo and compared to everything else i've seen your rack doesn't look bad at all. Although it could be improved.

Before you re-wire the rack make sure your boss knows your doing it, your probably going to want/have to do it after hours.

Things to consider having with you: velcro, zip ties, label maker (if you plan on labeling the ends of the cables), box/spool of cable (if you plan on personalizing patch cables)

For sure! I've done a little re-wiring before.
  • qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Lookin good! Keep going, the worst thing is most admins start all motivated and then get lazy and cut corners. Please dont be one of them.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For sure! I've done a little re-wiring before.

Katie,

Definitely trace everything through carefully before you disturb the rack. A spreadsheet recording which port is connected to which patch is usually a good idea before you move anything. Label the cables and watch out for crossed cables. Be careful of moving cables to different switchports as these may be assigned to a VLAN different from the one you need.

Agree with the others that you need to move. Having a rack next to your desk is bad for your hearing.
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I'm normally one of those messy contractors haha ;)
    Turgon wrote: »
    Katie,

Definitely trace everything through carefully before you disturb the rack. A spreadsheet recording which port is connected to which patch is usually a good idea before you move anything. Label the cables and watch out for crossed cables. Be careful of moving cables to different switchports as these may be assigned to a VLAN different from the one you need.

Agree with the others that you need to move. Having a rack next to your desk is bad for your hearing.

Oh trust me lots of homework to be done before I touch anything. We don't even have any port maps for the campus in my hands yet. Luckily I have worked with our data vendor before so after a few talks with them I will slowly start working at it.
    AlanJames wrote: »
    I'm normally one of those messy contractors haha ;)

Please tell me you're not the kind that smokes in the server room and leaves your ashes everywhere? That has got to be the most disgusting thing I always come across.
  • joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Nice work, keep it up and learn as much as you can and you will be moving up!
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Please tell me you're not the kind that smokes in the server room and leaves your ashes everywhere? That has got to be the most disgusting thing I always come across.

Chewing dip and spitting into a coke bottle is worse. icon_sad.gif
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    chmorin wrote: »
    Chewing dip and spitting into a coke bottle is worse. icon_sad.gif

You just described half of our systems/network team icon_lol.gif
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V