Options

Sat the 701 and 702 a couple of hours ago...

Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of the contributors to this site. I passed both exams without issue, and this site was a big part of that--not only from an informational standpoint, but from a motivational one as well.

I also want to encourage anyone who might be facing this exam: if I can pass it, anyone can. That doesn't mean you can take it lightly, but I'm no genius--and outside of the CIW exam I passed a couple of weeks ago, this was my first formal test in an educational environment in about 17 years.

As for me, I used the resources that I found from searching through this site to be the best for me: The Myers All-in-One, along with his Passport book, and practice exams from Certblaster, Examforce (I know, I know), and the ones that came with the Myers books.

Starting on the Network+ All-in-One book now, so we'll see how that goes. Best of luck to all in their studies.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats and best of luck with the Net+.
    The best resource for the Net+, from my experience, was the Labsim. I scored an 865 on that exam using just the Labsim as my main resource. The book WGU provided was crap but I used it to look up stuff like ports and media.
    Looks like you know what some peoples opinion of examfarce is. I don't know if thei A+ practice test is good but I do know that their Net+ practice test was adequate. If I had to buy it I wouldn't but since it was free from WGU I had to do it and it wasn't bad for that test. Anyone at WGU who has a mentor who requires (as every Course of study states it as a requirement) will find that the Sec+ examfarce is not good and the JavaScript is full of errors, the Server 2008 examfarce is really poorly put together.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Congrats and best of luck with the Net+.
    The best resource for the Net+, from my experience, was the Labsim. I scored an 865 on that exam using just the Labsim as my main resource. The book WGU provided was crap but I used it to look up stuff like ports and media.
    Looks like you know what some peoples opinion of examfarce is. I don't know if thei A+ practice test is good but I do know that their Net+ practice test was adequate. If I had to buy it I wouldn't but since it was free from WGU I had to do it and it wasn't bad for that test. Anyone at WGU who has a mentor who requires (as every Course of study states it as a requirement) will find that the Sec+ examfarce is not good and the JavaScript is full of errors, the Server 2008 examfarce is really poorly put together.

Thanks for the heads up on the Net+ resources. I'll definitely hit up Labsim too. As for Examforce, I have heard a bunch of negative stuff about it, so I'm definitely wary of it. Hopefully mixing a few different resources will get me where I need to go. I'm not completely new to a lot of this stuff, but I'm finding more and more that I only know a few things well, and many things not at all, so it's fun to broaden my knowledge of the IT world. That said, I know comptia is the little leagues, I'm sort of dreading the MS tests, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it, I guess. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ramirerramirer Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a few questions for you. Was the 702 harder? What questions did you see on the 702 that were not on the 701 ie what subjects?

Grats
  • Options
    ramirer wrote: »
    I have a few questions for you. Was the 702 harder? What questions did you see on the 702 that were not on the 701 ie what subjects?

Grats

I would say that the 702 was definitely more difficult, although I scored within 10 points of what I did on the 701. The biggest difference I saw was that on the 701, the questions really were pretty much 1 possible answer--the other choices were fairly obviously wrong. The 702, on the other hand, had many questions with several answers that could be correct, but they were looking for which one to do first, or which one was more applicable in the given scenario.

Just my take on it. With regards to the subjects, everything lined up with the objectives you can download from the CompTIA website. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    The best resource for the Net+, from my experience, was the Labsim.

Are you talking about this? Network+ Training - Order Today and Save on Network+ Online Training - LabSim

- Thanks
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's it. WGU provides it to WGU students taking the class. If you're a student (have a .edu email) then contact testout customer service and they provide a HUGE student discount.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    That's it. WGU provides it to WGU students taking the class. If you're a student (have a .edu email) then contact testout customer service and they provide a HUGE student discount.

gotcha, I will be signing up for WGU here soon ( I think ) , but I guess I will be exempt from the Networking class due to me already having Net+ . Thanks for the info.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ramirer wrote: »

Grats

The 701 has 6 objectives: Hardware, Troubleshooting Repair & Maintenance, Operating System and Software, Networking, Security, and Operational Procedure

The 702 has 4 objectives: Hardware, Operating systems, Networking, and Security

I think the 702 goes more indepth on the hardware and OS parts. Mainly more indepth on the OS part from what I remember
    http://www.comptia.org/Libraries/Exam_Objectives/CompTIA_A_220-702.sflb.ashx

2.1 Select the appropriate commands and options to troubleshoot and resolve problems
    2.2 Differentiate between Windows Operating System directory structures (Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Windows 7
    )
    2.3 Given a scenario, select and use system utilities / tools and evaluate the results
    2.4 Evaluate and resolve common issues
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Congrats on the pass! Good luck with the Net+