Options

SSD Advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I run an SSD in my tablet and 4 SSDs in my desktop. No turning back. ;)

They also do a good job at revitalizing older laptops.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    They're also great if you're a consultant and want to spend someone else's money if for no other reason than SSDs excite you.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    The original OCZ Vertex drives which used an Indilinx controller are awful. They've got software bugs which will quietly corrupt your data if you hit certain configurations. The OCZ response is to wipe it clean and try again.

I was having issues with my 30GB Vertex Turbo's (Indilinx controller) in my configuration where a drive at random would either flag degraded in my stripe or the array would simply not boot after Windows gets corrupted. Since then back in June or July I think it was, FW 1.6 came out and I've been smooth sailing since. But yea, until the new flash version came out there seemed to be certain configurations that just were far from reliable and the typical fix was to perform a sanitary erase and reinstall or reimage. Those were certainly some frustrating times since it seemed like every two or three weeks I was reloading.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

all you need to know about SSDs can be found at Andandtech. The Intel SSDs are still the best on the market according to the studies I've read. I've got a 120gig Intel SSD in my laptop and it flies. 8 gigs of ram, quad core, and SSD = zero lag time for file access. You can get the Intel 120gb drives for as little as $240 now.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/