Need advice about Sec+ and 8570

walterbyrdwalterbyrd Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am unemployed. I passed the SY0-101 in 2004. My DoD Secret clearance is current until July 2011. I also have an A+ and Net+, from around that time.

From my past experience, working in an 8570 regulated environment, it seems to me that such environments only care about the CISSP. In fact, where I worked, they were hardly even aware of any security certs other than the CISSP.

Still, I think a current Sec+ might be of some value, however minimal.

According to the CompTIA's FAQ, if I sign up for CompTIA "Continuing Education" then my old certs would be brought up to date.

> Can I keep my certification current without taking a new exam?
>> Yes. Our certification renewal policy includes a continuing education component that allows eligible individuals to renew their certifications by earning continuing education units.

> Who is eligible to participate in the continuing education (CE) program?
>> The program is available to those individuals who are certified in any version of CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, or CompTIA Security+.

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

From the same FAQ site:

> When does the CompTIA Continuing Education Program start?
>> The CompTIA Continuing Education Program is launching on Jan. 1, 2011.

The CompTIA bridge exam is retired one day before that: Dec 31, 2010.

So, would there be any reason for me to take the bridge exam before the end of the year? Or, maybe I would be better off, signing up for CompTIA's CE on Jan 1, 2011, then taking the SY0-201 for 40 CE points (twice as many points as I would get for writing a book!) ?

Any thoughts, or advice, appreciated.

Comments

• brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    walterbyrd wrote: »
    I am unemployed. I passed the SY0-101 in 2004. My DoD Secret clearance is current until July 2011. I also have an A+ and Net+, from around that time.

From my past experience, working in an 8570 regulated environment, it seems to me that such environments only care about the CISSP. In fact, where I worked, they were hardly even aware of any security certs other than the CISSP.

Still, I think a current Sec+ might be of some value, however minimal.

According to the CompTIA's FAQ, if I sign up for CompTIA "Continuing Education" then my old certs would be brought up to date.

> Can I keep my certification current without taking a new exam?
    >> Yes. Our certification renewal policy includes a continuing education component that allows eligible individuals to renew their certifications by earning continuing education units.

> Who is eligible to participate in the continuing education (CE) program?
    >> The program is available to those individuals who are certified in any version of CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, or CompTIA Security+.

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

From the same FAQ site:

> When does the CompTIA Continuing Education Program start?
    >> The CompTIA Continuing Education Program is launching on Jan. 1, 2011.

The CompTIA bridge exam is retired one day before that: Dec 31, 2010.

So, would there be any reason for me to take the bridge exam before the end of the year? Or, maybe I would be better off, signing up for CompTIA's CE on Jan 1, 2011, then taking the SY0-201 for 40 CE points (twice as many points as I would get for writing a book!) ?

Any thoughts, or advice, appreciated.

I know I am studying for Security+ ONLY because its required for my position as a Unix admin on a defense contract. We interviewed someone this week and they must get it to retain the job.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I would get it registered in CE. The way I would do it, is take the bridge before the end of the year to bring your lifetime sec+ current. Then sometime before Dec 31 2011, register in CE. Then youll have 3 years to get 50 CEUs together to bring it current. ( I want to say you would have 3 years after registering weather you take the bridge or not, but that would hinge on weather or not youd need the current cert before you can bring it current with CEUs).

Ive talked to some DoD guys, and they were being forced to register with CE.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would get it registered in CE. The way I would do it, is take the bridge before the end of the year to bring your lifetime sec+ current. Then sometime before Dec 31 2011, register in CE. Then youll have 3 years to get 50 CEUs together to bring it current. ( I want to say you would have 3 years after registering weather you take the bridge or not, but that would hinge on weather or not youd need the current cert before you can bring it current with CEUs).

Ive talked to some DoD guys, and they were being forced to register with CE.

Correct, it is mandatory to register your certification (can't think of the DoD site offhand) and they 'track' all your CPEs and certifications. If you are AD or DoD civilian, they will also pay for your annual fees - IF you are registered and current on the site.

OP, the benefit of taking the bridge exam is in the future, you only have to maintain the CPEs and pay annual fees, if you don't have the bridge exam then you must retest every 3 years. Not sure if you do have the 'new test, if you have to do CPEs AND retest. Easy CPEs or retest every 3 years - I'd take the CPE option. JMO.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I were you I would take the bridge exam now and then get enrolled in the CE program. Check on how mant CE points you would get for taking the CISSP and then put yourself on a schedule to get it in the next 2 years. I'm sure it's worth more points than retaking the Sec+.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe it's just me, but why would the OP need to take the bridge exam now if he already has Sec+? Mind you, it's the 101, but it's Sec+ nonetheless and hence "lifetime." Yes he's 8570, but if he enrolls in the CE program 1/1/2011, he can start on getting his 50 CPEs and when that Sec+ becomes current, it also makes his A+ and Network+ current (as per one of my last posts about this topic). Wouldn't it make sense for him to deal with the CE program after the start of the year and then just do whatever he to do to give him his 50 CPEs?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but unless DoD is telling him he's not "current", it may make sense for him to deal with this on 1/1/2011 as opposed to right now.