Netbook: Worth It?

sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
Hey everyone, My wife has been hounding me for what I want for Christmas, and I just cannot think of anything I need that I would possssibly use other than a netbook.

I already have a standard laptop that I use, but thats still not the easiest thing to carry around. I do not care for the iPads, for I still want serial interfaces and Rj45 jacks etc for doing some troubleshooting.

I know I will be using it to console into equipment, and also jot down notes along with the normal web browsing.

The only CON I have heard about a Netbook that really just kinda irked me was that they cannot play HD video.. Like Youtube HD. I always thought that was easy peas for a computer. So when I heard that I was wondering what the heck else simple stuff cannot it not do. Now I know it want play some crazy 3D. I am not thinking that far out there ha

I would really enjoy some Pros/Cons from you all who have and use them, and your preferences over Netbook Vs. Laptop.

- Thanks in adv
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I love my netbook for mobility. It serves its purpose well with it's lightweight and long battery life.

If you wanted something that could handle HD, a Dual Core Ion netbook would be sweet, like this.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Thats a nice netbook - Thanks for the link
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I bought a Dell mini 9 used off Dell's site. Been a lot of fun. I tossed MacOS on there and it really was my gateway drug to my Linux+ cert. Anyhow for $200. Can't beat the educational value. I even took it onsite once to console cable in to a switch :)
    -Daniel
  • TwistedSwitchTwistedSwitch Registered Users Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You put the MAC os on it?
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    my wife uses out netbook all the time she loves it

they are very handy if you do onsite stuffs, carry your own cables and software
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I bet I could get rid of the Windows 7 Started Ed. and load XP it would perform better.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I bet I could get rid of the Windows 7 Started Ed. and load XP it would perform better.

I bought a Lenovo netbook with an Atom processor. I did two things and man it runs so much better and the functionality is way better.

Upgraded the ram from 1 gb to 2 gb and reimaged the machine to remove Windows 7's starter and put on Windows 7 enterprise.

I love it. I use it more than my regular laptop.