Options

Linksys router to console port

StormStrikesStormStrikes Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just had a funny if not crazy thought and figured I would post up a question.

Is it possible to connect a store bought Linksys router to a Cisco router or switch console port. The thought occurred to me to take a spare wireless Linksys router I have here and see if I could hook it up to give me a wireless connection to the console port(s) of my Cisco gear.

Yeah, I know its probably horribly insecure, probably not even a good idea but I like to experiment with things so I thought I would post up and see if anyone had any input.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Short answer is no.

Longer answer is no. Not without modifying the router significantly. If you really want to do this then it'd be better to buy a serial console box like one of the Lantronix SCS range or a Cisco 2511 etc...
  • Options
    StormStrikesStormStrikes Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I suppose it was a nice thought while it lasted.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dell netbook carts (Ergatron Mobile Computing Station) come with a Linksys wireless router and a 24 port Cisco switch. I haven't bothered to look at the actual connection since the cart comes assembled but I know it isn't on any of the 24 ports.
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    Dell netbook carts (Ergatron Mobile Computing Station) come with a Linksys wireless router and a 24 port Cisco switch. I haven't bothered to look at the actual connection since the cart comes assembled but I know it isn't on any of the 24 ports.
    You'd do the initial configuration over the console port and then everything else via the network. Linksys routers don't have a serial port so it isn't possible to connect it.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What about a null modem to ethernet cable? But like I said I haven't looked under the hood of the cart only configure the router/ap.
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    What about a null modem to ethernet cable?
    You can't directly wire ethernet to a serial port. You'd need some sort of processor in the middle which would act as a single port console server accessible via the network.