Options

New Monitor

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
I'm considering getting myself a new monitor for Christmas. My current fp (Viewsonic I bought back in 2002) is fine, but I'm ready to go to something a bit bigger/wider. Currently I have a 17" standard ratio.

I've been eyeing some of Dell's monitors. As much as I'd like to get one of the professional or Ultrasharp series, I think they may be out of my price range.

Questions #1 - does anyone have any opinion on Dell monitors? Or any other brand that would be good?

Question #2 - Best size. Ideally I'd like to run a dual monitor set up, but that may be a ways down the road. Should I get a single 24" or should I go with a 21/22/23 (what would be the best size if I decided to stick with a single solution).

Connection doesn't really matter to me. I have VGA and HDMI coming out of my laptop, but I'd probably end up using a HDMI to DVI converter,

I should add, I don't game and I don't want a glossy display. I would like a telescoping stand, but that is not a deal breaker for me.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2 of these ftw!!!! 219 a pop.

Newegg.com - Asus VE248H Black 24" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1

Telescoping stand I'm not too sure about with this model. I would advise against the 21,22,23 setup simply because with my 22/19 dual setup I get quick flickers every now and then when I watch (mainly when I start videos) videos due to constant rescaling (my HD4870 is pretty old now though).
  • Options
    Why do you advise against the 21,22,23? Is it because you are running a 19" along with the other size? Do you think 2x21/22/23 would have the same issue? I guess I should have mentioned once I get the widescreen, I won't be using the 17" (I'm going to save it for my kids when we get them a computer).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Why do you advise against the 21,22,23? Is it because you are running a 19" along with the other size? Do you think 2x21/22/23 would have the same issue? I guess I should have mentioned once I get the widescreen, I won't be using the 17" (I'm going to save it for my kids when we get them a computer).

Yea. Everyday I have to kind of look down towards the 19'' which can be annoying but I'm used to it now. In your case, visually each screen will be just .3-.5 inch (give or take) away from each other (the frame is included in the measurement; you prob won't notice a difference) but it comes down to the resolutions. After looking into resolutions online, it actually wouldn't be bad to do the 21 21 23. The 21s and 23 would run natively at 1920x1080 but the 22 runs at 1680x1050. If you have an ATI card with Eyefinity, running just the 3 (21 21 23) would look great in my op. The 22'' runs on 16:10 while the rest run at 16:9 which is more widely supported (not that 16:10 isnt but you get more options) with media players in full screen mode.
  • Options
    I'm just running an Intel video card (stock that came on my laptop). It doesn't set the world on fire but it does what I need it to. Eventually (another year or so) I'm going to get a new pc (haven't decided between desktop or laptop), but I do want to get a more powerful video card.

So from the sound of it, probably either a 21, or 23 would be fine for me.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Monitors are dirt cheap. Just get two 24". If you don't want to spend $400 get one 24 inch and buy another when the funds present themselves. There's no point in getting two 22" monitors and not just upgrading to 24" because the price difference is marginal.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2 of these ftw!!!! 219 a pop.

Newegg.com - Asus VE248H Black 24" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1

Telescoping stand I'm not too sure about with this model. I would advise against the 21,22,23 setup simply because with my 22/19 dual setup I get quick flickers every now and then when I watch (mainly when I start videos) videos due to constant rescaling (my HD4870 is pretty old now though).

I'm not at home so the model escapes me, but I'm pretty sure these are the same model Asus 24" displays I have at home and I absolutely love them.

I spoiled myself with 4 24" displays, 3 on my main desktop (one in portrait mode for reading PDF's) and one on my KVM for my other systems. Set them up on two of the DoubleSight 24" display stands Newegg.com - DoubleSight DS-224STA Dual Display Stand

It's great when I spend a day working from home, I'm far more productive on my setup at home than I am on my dual 19" and 20" setup at the office. Obviously everybody wouldn't need or want 4 displays, but dual 24" screens would be ideal for most of us here IMO.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'm leaning now towards the 24" - but I'm not sure if I should get the VE248H. Is the screen matte of glossy - I can't really tell from Newegg's description.
  • Options
    It's a matte finish. I checked my order history with Newegg, I didn't get the same one you're looking at - I ended up with the VH242H instead. We've been buying a lot of Asus displays at the office also, and we haven't had any DOA screen's or issues with stuck/dead pixels so the quality seems to be pretty good.
  • Options
    Since you got the 23", do you think it's worth spending the extra money to go to the 24"?
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Since you got the 23", do you think it's worth spending the extra money to go to the 24"?

I'm happy with them. It's 23.6" vs 24", so the size isn't that much of a difference. The VE248H is going to benefit from a lower response time and also uses a LED backlight which I would prefer to have myself - easier on the eyes IMO.
  • Options
    Thanks! I guess the LED-backlight will be the way to go, especially if I tell my wife it's more environmentally friendly (she has a bit of tree hugger in her).
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I got two of these each for work and home when they were on sale for $249: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG P2770HD Rose Black 27" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 50,000:1(1000:1) Built-in HDTV Tuner & Speakers

They are GREAT monitors.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    Yeah one with a tv tuner would be nice, but that price is a little steep for me.
  • Options
    cablegod wrote: »
    I got two of these each for work and home when they were on sale for $249: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG P2770HD Rose Black 27" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 50,000:1(1000:1) Built-in HDTV Tuner & Speakers

They are GREAT monitors.

I def love Samsung. I have a 2233RZ 3D monitor and gave my dad my Samsung 2332BW (model might be off). They've both been great monitors.
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    I believe newegg will have some great deals tomorrow for their black Friday sale. They are starting early. You should definitely check that out. Pretty sure other places will have great deals as well. Perfect week to get your Christmas presents.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options