Options

File transfer speed

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I am copying some large files from my main PC to my laptop and I am only getting 11 Mb a second I am connected into a 100 meg wireless router which my PC is also connected

on the CAT5 that connects my laptop to the switch it says

E256123 AWM 2835 60C 30.V VW-1 24AWG/4P UTP TIA/EIA 568-B LANTEK

I have no idea what that says I thought it would say CAT5-E but it doesnt

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lee H wrote: »
    Hi

I am copying some large files from my main PC to my laptop and I am only getting 11 Mb a second I am connected into a 100 meg wireless router which my PC is also connected

on the CAT5 that connects my laptop to the switch it says

E256123 AWM 2835 60C 30.V VW-1 24AWG/4P UTP TIA/EIA 568-B LANTEK

I have no idea what that says I thought it would say CAT5-E but it doesnt

"TIA/EIA 568B" is your clue to it being an ethernet cable (and the UTP too). Its the arrangement of the pins (whether the sequencing starts with a green/white pin (TIA/EIA 568A) or an orange/white pin (TIA/EIA 568B)).

TIA/EIA-568 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Followed the link and had a quick scan of the page but failed to see where it says exactly what speed I should be getting, niether did it say it is CAT5-E as apose to the older CAT-5

Still none the wiser but thanks for the help
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lee H wrote: »
    Followed the link and had a quick scan of the page but failed to see where it says exactly what speed I should be getting, niether did it say it is CAT5-E as apose to the older CAT-5

Still none the wiser but thanks for the help

Thats my bad; I just sped through the posting to at least get something up for you in regards to the identification of the cable.

Here are some links to the conversion tables and a calculator:
    Data rate units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Computer Data Conversion Calculators 2

You stated your router was running at 100mbps for the interface which would put you at 12.5MB roughly (a sec; let me know if I'm wrong) so getting 11 isn't too bad I guess?