Options

Dameware and Windows 7 Professional

CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
Hello,
We have recently started deploying new Windows 7 Professional 32-bit notebooks to our field staff. We have always used Dameware to access field PC's and in-house PC's running Win7 / XP Pro. The field notebooks are tested with Dameware in-house before being given to the user. We are unable to use Dameware on the notebooks once the are out in the field. We've always had the user connect to our Cisco VPN and that was it. We are running Dameware 6.9.0.4, which is compatible with Win7. I've tried manually adding port # 6129 to trhe exceptions list. We can ping the systems, and I can run Remote Desktop as well. We need the ability to share the screen while we work on the system.

any ideas?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Although I'm not using it at work, TightVNC works well with windows 7.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is the problem occurring both on Windows 7 and XP notebooks? The title seems to imply Windows 7 only while the body references 7 and XP but isn't specific of the XP machines work as intended.

If it's just the Windows 7 notebooks, one thing that comes to mind is the firewall profile the connection is using (Home, Work, Public). If they are set to Work in the office and somehow are set so another in the field, you would need to set the firewall rule in the proper profile or switch the firewall profile to whichever it was in the office. It's my experience with Dameware that it only applies the firewall rule to the active profile only - although my client installer is one version out of date and we update the client when connecting the first time currently - so I can't say what the current behavior is.

If it's occurring on the XP machines too, or the above just isn't the issue - then what exactly is happening? Are you getting access denied, could not connect to client, etc? What method of authentication are you using?
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What version of the cisco vpn. There was recently an issue with DNS on win7 they patched
    -Daniel
  • Options
    msteinhilber:

This is only affecting Win7 PC's outside of the office.

Daniel333:

They are using Cisco Client v 5.0.00.0340 / Concentrator v 4.1.3
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you unable to connect to them via their IP address as well? What error message are you getting? We don't have any Windows 7 machines, mostly XP and I think three Vista laptops.

I've had trouble with Dameware on our Baton Rouge office machines in that it refuses to let me use the Windows NT Challenge/Response on the workstations, but I can use a Proprietary Challenge/Response and it works fine. We're connected via site to site VPN on a T1...no problems with DNS that I can tell.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Thank you all for your help on this one.

I went through the Windows 7 Firewall and found that I had missed Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance on Public. I then had to remove the manually created Dameware port 6129. Luckily, I have several notebooks still here in - house with active broadband cards to test it.