Passing rate people who take Network+?

Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
Anyone know?
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like you have eyes on this (passively :P).

It builds on the A+ knowledge from the end chapters of the 701 book or CBTs you may have been exposed to. The Network+ is very broad to, say the least, when it comes to specific objectives. I haven't found any stats out there but I haven't seen very many "fail" threads for this exam; that doesn't mean it should be underestimated though.
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Sounds like you have eyes on this (passively :P).

It builds on the A+ knowledge from the end chapters of the 701 book or CBTs you may have been exposed to. The Network+ is very broad to, say the least, when it comes to specific objectives. I haven't found any stats out there but I haven't seen very many "fail" threads for this exam; that doesn't mean it should be underestimated though.

i dont think basing the "fail threads" is a good way to judge a cert. not many people post that they have failed the A+, but it has a 20% pass rate( from what i hear). i can only assume network+ has a lower rate
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    It would be pretty tough to gauge an accurate percentage. I found it to be a little more tricky due to the broad material & lots of scenario questions. It's still not as in depth as other network certs. One shouldn't assume they'll breeze though either. When I took the exam the admin commented on my score. They said that many people attempted the exam but few passed on the first attempt at least. I'm not sure how the current exam compares though.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i dont think basing the "fail threads" is a good way to judge a cert. not many people post that they have failed the A+, but it has a 20% pass rate( from what i hear). i can only assume network+ has a lower rate

You know I what I was trying to say relatively. That rule applies the same for all certs and life itself lol. Just tryin' to help!
    i just find it ridiculous that the passing rate for an entry level cert(A+) is about 20% and for a cert such as CFA( certified financial analyst) the rate is roughly 40%.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2003 exams had an average pass rate of between 3% and 10%.

2006 exams had an average pass rate of 20%

I would think the 2009 A+ would have somewhere between a 30% and 35% pass rate.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »
    2003 exams had an average pass rate of between 3% and 10%.

2006 exams had an average pass rate of 20%

I would think the 2009 A+ would have somewhere between a 30% and 35% pass rate.
    what would make you say this? and where are you getting your information from?
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what would make you say this? and where are you getting your information from?
    A+ Certification - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

sadly they don't have the net+ listing on there
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I found a recent article

CFA Level 1 Pass Rate Drops to Lowest Since 2005 (Update2) - BusinessWeek

No change in the course curriculum yet a lower pass rate. 3% more candidates this time didn't even show up for the exam. ***Interesting data

My personal take is that most people who take the financial analyst cert are a lot more serious than people who take the network +, giving them a solid foundation before they even take the exam. You have to have a bachelors degree for starters, that is not the case for Network +, infact you don't need anything except two forms of ID and 239 USD.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm actually quite shocked to see that it's so low. Part of me wonders why it's so low. However the other part of me feels a bit better about being able to pass.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    N2IT wrote: »
    I found a recent article

No change in the course curriculum yet a lower pass rate. 3% more candidates this time didn't even show up for the exam. ***Interesting data

My personal take is that most people who take the financial analyst cert are a lot more serious than people who take the network +, giving them a solid foundation before they even take the exam. You have to have a bachelors degree for starters, that is not the case for Network +, infact you don't need anything except two forms of ID and 239 USD.

yeah, I would agree with this, the higher level cert, the more qualified the candiates, so it should in theory have a higher passing rate...

just about anyone who comes to this board who asks about certs is advised to go for A+ or Net+ first.... but no one is going to recommend you go for a CCIE or MCM or etc if you aren't well experienced in that field..
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The pass rate for the Bar exam in many states is well over 60% but the effort required to pass the exam, consisting of two entire days of testing, is phenomenal. Not to mention it's nearly impossible to pass if you haven't attended three years of law school regardless of how much you study. So many factors affect pass rates for different types of exams it's difficult to think about.
  • capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i just find it ridiculous that the passing rate for an entry level cert(A+) is about 20% and for a cert such as CFA( certified financial analyst) the rate is roughly 40%.

Not sure of the accuracy of those figures, but I'd have to assume that the reason behind it is the number of skippy narcissists who know a little bit more about computers than their friends think they can pass A+ no problem whereas people looking to get CFA certified are more intelligent, stable minded, and aware of their limits. I'm not calling every person who holds A+ a skippy narcissist, mind you (hell, I hold that cert), but most of the 80% who fail probably are.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the high failure rate for the A+ probably comes from people not doing research about the exam before taking it. Simple things like not downloading the objectives and using them as a guide.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I found a recent article

I'm quoting you N2IT just because, not because I'm objecting to anything you're saying.

The CFA is not a cert in the sense that certs are discussed here. Not even close. Also fair to point out that a CPA is not a cert, it is a license issued by states to practice a specific profession.

I know 1 person who holds a CFA. He's a couple of years younger than me and he owns 2 very new Maseratis.

I know several others who've earned CPAs, but have failed the CFA. Some more than once. The guy I know that holds the CFA basically put his life on hold to do it.

The link you gave is for level 1, actually lots of people pass level 1 and then bust out at levels 2 and 3.

I highly doubt the low pass rates being discussed in this thread for A+ and Network+. It's probably 80+% that pass those, but we'll never know because CompTIA doesn't release pass rates as far as I know. Just because you've seen it in a Wikipedia article doesn't mean it's true ( http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A%2B_Certification ).

MS
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    I'm quoting you N2IT just because, not because I'm objecting to anything you're saying.

The CFA is not a cert in the sense that certs are discussed here. Not even close. Also fair to point out that a CPA is not a cert, it is a license issued by states to practice a specific profession.

I know 1 person who holds a CFA. He's a couple of years younger than me and he owns 2 very new Maseratis.

I know several others who've earned CPAs, but have failed the CFA. Some more than once. The guy I know that holds the CFA basically put his life on hold to do it.

The link you gave is for level 1, actually lots of people pass level 1 and then bust out at levels 2 and 3.

I highly doubt the low pass rates being discussed in this thread for A+ and Network+. It's probably 80+% that pass those, but we'll never know because CompTIA doesn't release pass rates as far as I know. Just because you've seen it in a Wikipedia article doesn't mean it's true ( A+ Certification - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks ).

MS

True

Just like the series 7 it's a license not a certification.

You would think me having my real estate license for the state of Missouri that I would of called it what it really is a license not a cert lol.
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    , but it has a 20% pass rate( from what i hear). i can only assume network+ has a lower rate

Wow I figured it would be way higher than 20% especially on the A+ icon_study.gif
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    earweed wrote: »
    I think the high failure rate for the A+ probably comes from people not doing research about the exam before taking it. Simple things like not downloading the objectives and using them as a guide.

Yea, People think its a cake walk because they can download a song or 2 or overclock their PC, and go fail the exam. icon_jokercolor.gif
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eMeS wrote: »

I highly doubt the low pass rates being discussed in this thread for A+ and Network+. It's probably 80+% that pass those, but we'll never know because CompTIA doesn't release pass rates as far as I know. Just because you've seen it in a Wikipedia article doesn't mean it's true ( A+ Certification - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks ).

MS

Interesting. I have never heard of the CFA but I know a few CPAs. That test is no joke. I'd like to end up in politics and/or finance. That looks like an interesting thing to add to my future BS in Finance.