Options

Taking the test tomorrow

capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm taking the Network+ exam tomorrow, and while I feel confident, a small part of me is just absolutely terrified. I'm trying to get Network+ and Security+ before the end of the year, and I really don't think I can afford to fail considering Winter break will pretty much prevent me from getting vouchers to schedule a test, so essentially the year ends on December 23 for me. Now, the good news is I already have some experience with security stuff, plus the concepts and objectives seem to be far more definitive than Network+. Well, I really hope I can pass tomorrow. Anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    I'm taking the Network+ exam tomorrow, and while I feel confident, a small part of me is just absolutely terrified. I'm trying to get Network+ and Security+ before the end of the year, and I really don't think I can afford to fail considering Winter break will pretty much prevent me from getting vouchers to schedule a test, so essentially the year ends on December 23 for me. Now, the good news is I already have some experience with security stuff, plus the concepts and objectives seem to be far more definitive than Network+. Well, I really hope I can pass tomorrow. Anyone have any tips?

Good luck. As long as you are comfortable with the objectives then you should be fine. I look forward to seeing the "I Passed" thread tomorrow.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As far as tips: Know ports, OSI, protocols and media lengths/speeds. I made little charts of those on my dry erase board at the testing center. Good luck on it.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    As far as tips: Know ports, OSI, protocols and media lengths/speeds. I made little charts of those on my dry erase board at the testing center. Good luck on it.

Well, I'm taking the test in about 2 and a half hours. Any tips on how to remember all that stuff? I don't think I'll need a chart for ports, I got that down pretty good. I know the OSI model, and I'm alright with protocols. However, the media lengths/speeds/type of cable get me. The speeds are pretty obvious, I'm decent with the types of cable but I don't know how I'll memorize the lengths. Is there a mnemonic or something? Thanks again.
  • Options
    Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I'm taking the test in about 2 and a half hours. Any tips on how to remember all that stuff? I don't think I'll need a chart for ports, I got that down pretty good. I know the OSI model, and I'm alright with protocols. However, the media lengths/speeds/type of cable get me. The speeds are pretty obvious, I'm decent with the types of cable but I don't know how I'll memorize the lengths. Is there a mnemonic or something? Thanks again.

I made flashcards and carry them around.
  • Options
    lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take your time and read the questions over and review your answers. Some questions will be be way off regardless but you can do icon_smile.gif Keep us informed icon_smile.gificon_thumright.gif
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Hope you passed!
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    Lol, sorry for not keeping you posted guys, but great news: I passed! I got a 740, which, frankly, completely satisfies me. I'm just glad I passed. Unfortunately, my friend who drove me there failed and that just bums me out. I guess on the bright side I'm now leading the class in certs. Now, I'm definitely planning on getting Security+ next, and as I've said, that stuff is a lot easier for me, I already know a good bit about security topics. So, what should I do next? I'm thinking maybe if I pass Security+ quick enough, I may still have time to take easy mode Server+ 2005 exam. Now, I really wish I could just go do CCNA Security right away after Security+, but out instructor is making us get Server+. Ah well.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lol, sorry for not keeping you posted guys, but great news: I passed! I got a 740, which, frankly, completely satisfies me. I'm just glad I passed. Unfortunately, my friend who drove me there failed and that just bums me out. I guess on the bright side I'm now leading the class in certs. Now, I'm definitely planning on getting Security+ next, and as I've said, that stuff is a lot easier for me, I already know a good bit about security topics. So, what should I do next? I'm thinking maybe if I pass Security+ quick enough, I may still have time to take easy mode Server+ 2005 exam. Now, I really wish I could just go do CCNA Security right away after Security+, but out instructor is making us get Server+. Ah well.

Congrats!!! I'll mention though that now you are required to do the CCENT/CCNA or CCNA composite before taking on the CCNA Security.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you're going to do Sec+ obviously you'll want to pick up Darril's book. It's pretty solid material and covers what you need to know. At 10 bucks for the kindle version you can't go wrong.

edit: Also grats on the pass. Sorry to hear about your buddy though.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Congrats on the pass! Welcome to the club. There are a bunch of us who just finished up N+ and now studying for Security+
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    jvhall83jvhall83 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing. I am also studying for my net+ as well as security+ and looking at taking them both by the end of the year. Im still trying to decide which one to take first as i am pretty much ready i believe for both of them. Originally i was planning to take security+ first but im not sure at the moment. :D
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63