Options

Live CD Malware / Spyware removal

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi there can anyone point me in the direction of a decent live cd tool which will allow me to run various clean up / removal tools on a Windows Partition without actually booting into Windows, I have a machine that is currently clogged up and everytime I log in I am being greeted with your computer is infected blah blah invest in our excellent virus protection software.

Ive tried Trinity Rescue but the machine is still not playing ball, don't really want to do a clean install on this

Many Thanks

Guys as always!
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

You might want to try this link:

Windows Antivirus | The LiveCD List

I have had good success with Bit Defender and Kaspersky in the past.
    WIP: 2017 - VCP6.5-DCV (Achieved), VCAP6-DCV, Citrix CCA-V
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hate those. They are hard to get off. Last one I saw I used Hirens Bootable CD and just used spybot search and destroy and it knocked it off for me. Just one of many things the CD has. It has a specific Remove fake antivirus program but i haven't tried it yet.
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Looks like a nice addition to the toolkit. Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    safe mode with networking
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I hate those. They are hard to get off. Last one I saw I used Hirens Bootable CD and just used spybot search and destroy and it knocked it off for me. Just one of many things the CD has. It has a specific Remove fake antivirus program but i haven't tried it yet.
    Hiren's BootCD 12.0 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info

+1 for hiren :)
  • Options
    ZbacoZbaco Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This may be a stupid question, but where do I go on Hiren's site to download the ISO for his CD? I went to the page that lists all the software included on the CD, but the link that goes to the full download appears to be inactive. Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Good luck. Those are always fun and seem to fight back the more you try to remove them. They're also posing as Microsoft Security Essentials now. icon_sad.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Zbaco wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question, but where do I go on Hiren's site to download the ISO for his CD? I went to the page that lists all the software included on the CD, but the link that goes to the full download appears to be inactive. Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?

They tend to hide it away in the back of the comments:

Download Hiren's BootCD 12.0

Scroll to the bottom and the .zip should be there.
  • Options
    Downloading it now, thanks. You gave me a link to a .org site, where the previous commenters linked to .info sites. Is the .org site the most up-to-date one?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    Hmm, hiren.info's registration is listed as "Registration Private", while Hiren's BootCD 12.0 - HTTP Download is registered to a Hasan Yilmar. The latter's webpage states that they're not affiliated with Hiren, but then again they have the working link and the .info site doesn't.

Also, the file size listed for the image differs between the sites by about 2MB. Curioser and curioser...
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've always gotten HBCD from 9Down, since they actually use the real logo and keep up to date with the same releases described on Hiren's site.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.