Options

If you have quite of bit of experience would Professor Messer be just fine?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have over 5 years of deskside and remote desktop support. I was wondering if you felt a run through Messer's video would be enough in your opinion.

I have gone through at least half and taken hand written note cards on the material. Once I am done I will go over the note cards several times and maybe watch the video again. I am hoping that will be enough.

Recently I figured Security + would require to much time around the holidays it just wasn't feasibile. However A+ is more doable and it's a certification I always set out too obtain, but never did. So I am going to finish the year off with A+ and it's brother 702.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just make sure you're comfortable with all the objectives. As with every exam I recommend using more than one source and I think it'd probably be a good idea to get Mike Meyers All in One to supplement the videos.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I would say no.. But then again I do my preference towards learning a cert is from a book, and I use videos just to smooth things over.

Nonetheless, I used Prof Messor, and I found his videos to be too broad. He just hits the high points. Great Videos do not get me wrong, but they are just too broad in my opinion to be your only source of learning.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    mypcrepairguymypcrepairguy Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO yes, this is true for both professor messer A+ and Net+. Professor Messer hits on all the points required to pass the exam. Additionally he is also a certified CBT trainer and has Paid videos for both CBT A+ and Net+, I watched both sources and settled on the free online vids as they cover the same material and are free and --most importantly- they are CURRENT. In all honesty I would run through a few practice tests and then do the CERT asap. You have more then enough time in the field to flawlessly pass the exam.
    (Start date 1/01/2011) BSIT: Network Design and Management

Units to Complete: (33)
    CLC1, WFV1(LOL), AKV1, TPV1(wip), AHV1, AIV1, AJV1

Transfered Units: (34)
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1,

Completed Units by Certification: (30)
    TEV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1

:study:currently reading: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide (Exam PK0-003) by Kim Heldman and William Heldman
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I would think you would be fine with the fundamentals, but there are random things you need to memorize, so I would look over a study guide
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed both with little/no study. If you have 5 good years of desktop support - no worries. Just look over the objectives to make sure IMO.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed both with little/no study. If you have 5 good years of desktop support - no worries. Just look over the objectives to make sure IMO.

Thanks for the heads up.

That goes to everyone who responded!
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Been a long time since I took A+ but all I can remember is having to remember useless hardware specs. I think Security + is easier to study for IMO.