Options

Given a choice, which would you prefer?

As a hiring manager, which person would you hire assuming everything else is constant?

Intermediate Certs being CCNA/SSCP/etc

High Level Certs being MSCE/CCNP

Tried to keep it as fair as possible. Choose your top 2 likely to be hired.
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Overall I would say that experience is the biggest factor. Certs and a degree are great at getting your foot in the door if you don't have the experience. However the guy with 5-10 years experience in the field doing this same type of stuff every day is going to be better prepared for what a non-entry level position is going to throw his way. But that's just my 2 cents.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I think it would matter what kind of position we're hiring for as well. My choices for a level 1 helpdesk hire would be different than a level 2 desktop support or Jr. Sys Admin.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Can't answer without more information:

1. What kind of/type of position?

Requirements are different for different positions

2. What kind of experience?

5 years of helpdesk experience vs 2 years of systems engineering, both have merit for different positions.

3. What kind of intermediate certifications?

Eg would a Cisco cert in a non-Cisco environment hold much sway? For me no, but that's just me.

-Ken
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I agree with Ninja on that...is this for an entry-level position or intermediate-level?

An entry level position I could hire a complete novice with no certs if that person was willing to learn and not be a typical 9-5er.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It all depends for me.

Does the position require someone to move up eventually to a manager like position or not? Does the person need to meet some corporate requirements or government regulation? Because these are not defined I would go middle ground degree + cert and some experience the rest will come eventually.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Judging from the choices I'd say it would be a desktop support or network/system admin I or Jr level. If that is the case I voted 5+ years experience and intermediate certs + experience. Anyone can get a cert and a degree (given enough time, money and ethics ... braindumps) but experience can't be faked. Sure you can lie on a resume but you'll be weeded out when you start working. A good hiring manager will have a top few selections just in case the top choice doesn't work out as planned.
  • Options
    ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    Its missing the option for...

Intermediate level cert + IT Degree + 2-3 years Experience because I'd choose this then..
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Zaits wrote: »
    Its missing the option for...

Intermediate level cert + IT Degree + 2-3 years Experience because I'd choose this then..
    having this option would make options 1-3 irrelevant.

to answer everyone elses questions, i don't have an answer. this poll wasn't as thought out as i thought it'd be
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    As a hiring manager, which person would you hire assuming everything else is constant?

Intermediate Certs being CCNA/SSCP/etc

High Level Certs being MSCE/CCNP

Tried to keep it as fair as possible. Choose your top 2 likely to be hired.

If I were hiring someone who would be more of a lead role then experience.
    If I were hiring someone who would be more entry-mid level I would take the degree+1-2years.

But as stated it depends heavily on the job....experience doing what? for who? many many variables involved.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA