Options

Questions about MCSA.

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I'm going to start preping for MCSA. Should I expect to purchase a book for each of the exams? Also, for MCSA, I only see 2003. So there is no 2008?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I normally recommend 2 books from different publishers for each exam to cover an gaps in coverage. One can be a review style book.

There is no MCSA for windows 2008. It was replaced by the MCITP:SA.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    So do you think I should get MCITP instead or stick to my original plan and get MCSA 2003 then MCSE 2008 EDIT: I guess there is only MCSE 2003 and no 2008. DOn't know why I thought there was.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there is no MCSE in 2008, it was replaced by the MCITP:EA.

A lot of places have windows 2003 and are starting to implement 2008, so you could go either way. How long do you plan on taking to finish the MCSA 2003? If you are going to do it in the next 6-12 months, I think the MCSA 2003 is good idea. If you are going to take longer, move to the 2008 material.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    If you haven't started the MCSA just go straight to the MCITP:SA

It is a newer OS and the other one will eventually retire. I have the MCITP:SA and am working on the last 2 exams (643, 647) for my EA.

MCITP:EA is the MCSE equivilent.

For books I always use the MS Press books and then supplement with other materials. I use the MeasureUp tests on the CD in the books as well as other materials. Also the stickies here at TE are great resources as well.

Good luck on your studies. icon_thumright.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    I haven't started yet but I have so much free time at the moment, and probably in the next 5 months so I could probably get MCSA in 5 months I'm sure. So should I forget about MCSA/E altogether and go for MCITP? or do both?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you work in a company that is using server 2003? If so, I would work on the MCSA. You can always upgrade that cert later on.

If you are already on 2008, then I would do the MCITP:SA.

I think company's will be using 2003 for some time.