Options

Microsoft Interview

2»

Comments

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Haha... I dont know how all that works. I know ill be working on some enterprise level products.

They just confirmed to fly me out on Jan 3 to meet the CTO, CFO, and some other people. Theyve already said they are going to send me an offer, but want to talk face to face and show me some things and let me know what type of environment I will be in before sealing the deal.
  • Options
    Just got another email from MS, the hiring manager wanted to set up an interview for Friday the 7th. I replied saying I am unavailable that week, as I am flying to CA to interview that week with another company. So I suggested the following week.

I wonder why I cant just interview at the Campus thats like 30 miles from my house vs the one thats 6 hours. The funny thing is if I were to take the job, I would be working out of the office thats 30 miles from me. Go figure.
  • Options
    Got another email yesterday asking to confirm my availability for the 14th. I told the recruiter I am available.

I am planning on taking a position with FusionIO, but I dont want to burn any future bridges with MS, so I am going to fly out there and sit through the interviews.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Fusion IO called me, I told them you were good peoples
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That really doesn't surprise me about M$. I have a friend who is a VP there. His main office is in Minneapolis, but spends like 90% of his time at Redmond.

When he took the job, they would pay to move his belongings to Redmond, but not Minneapolis. They pay for his lodging in Redmond as long as it is at a hotel, cannot rent a home/apt, etc on their dime.

Does get some nice perks though. He and his support team, along with spouses, got to spend a week in the Bahamas recently as a thank you for having such a good year.
  • Options
    Yeah they do have some amazing benefits. Free health care is one of the better ones. The reason I dont want to take the position they are considering me for is because of the amount of travel. If I take the position with the other company I will get to work from home. Some travel into the city every now and then. So ill get to spend more time with my family.
  • Options
    So an update.
    I was offered a job with FusionIO. I decided to take the job. I start on the 24th. Ill get to work from home, I get a raise, a ton of pre-ipo stock options, yearly bonuses between 10 and 20%, and a ton of other benefits.

I also decided not to interview with Microsoft. The reason is I didnt want to drive into the city everyday. Its a 35 mile drive, and in the DC area that can take forever.

Im hoping to stay with FusionIO for a few years and make a ton of money once they go public. 15 years into my IT career and its finally getting good :)
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    <<High Five!>> Great job, congrats!
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Congrats, that sounds like a good gig. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I just gave notice this AM, although my boss hasnt seen the email yet. This going to be a difficult thing as we get along very well, and I also get along very well with the team I work with.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations for the new job, it's always hard to leave a place you like and move on but at least you have made some friends and you will leave behind a good reputataion.