Remote site backup

forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
I've been running into this problem a lot lately, and I can't seem to find a good option...

I have two sites. One is HQ, one is Remote. Remote has data on a server that only they use. HQ has no need to access it. HQ has the backup system, while Remote has nothing. I need to backup the data to HQ from Remote on a regular basis.

Best thing I've come up with so far is using BackupExec to do a backup-to-disk job. In the absence of a good backup software(which is my current problem), it seems robocopy as a scheduled task is the best option, though I still don't feel comfortable with it.

Any suggestions?
The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.

Comments

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you are using server 2008 you could use DFS to copy/replicate the data. It is probably many times more reliable than a scheduled Robocopy.

*You could also do this in 2003 however DFSr sucks in 2003.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is expensive, but check out AppAssure. I was looking into it for a client. Has potential to be a backup, DR, and High Availability solution.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    My server admin loves DFS. We hope to have it implemented in my office early 2011. The first replication apparently takes a while, but then after that it's much quicker.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Backupassist is pretty reliable and easy to use - it's about $400 depending on what plugins you need. We use it for rsync.

Microsoft data protection manager 2010 is my current favorite for this type of thing. It does disk-to-disk and tape.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not clear on your requirements. Storage retention? Budget?

Anyhow, poor mans system. Backup to disk then upload to amazon cloud. If you can't afford cloud, then just use DFS to replicate the data to another site.
    -Daniel
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Let me clarify a bit...

HQ has a backup system in place, managed by the data center. I need the data at Remote to be sent to HQ on a regular basis so it's grabbed during the HQ backups.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    If you have a VPN or another connection back there you can install the backupexec agent on those systems and back them up as if they were local to the HQ.
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    If you have a VPN or another connection back there you can install the backupexec agent on those systems and back them up as if they were local to the HQ.

My situations are a bit complex, but in almost every scenario I've needed this for, I've been unable to use BackupExec for whatever reason. I'm aware that it has the capability, but the client's network takes the option off the table.