Practice exams (70-640)

unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am gearing up for a final push before taking the 70-640. As this will be my first MS Exam, I was thinking about using some practice exams. So, I was hoping for some recommendations/experience with the products you've used for the 70-640 in particular or for any recent MS exam.

I was thinking about the SelfTestSoftware that Microsoft links to mainly because it is priced pretty cheap and I've heard that it is similar to Transcenders (since Kaplan owns both) that are suppose to be really good. Also, I see their practice exams have been updated with R2 content.

What would you all suggest?

Comments

• creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,

I am gearing up for a final push before taking the 70-640. As this will be my first MS Exam, I was thinking about using some practice exams. So, I was hoping for some recommendations/experience with the products you've used for the 70-640 in particular or for any recent MS exam.

I was thinking about the SelfTestSoftware that Microsoft links to mainly because it is priced pretty cheap and I've heard that it is similar to Transcenders (since Kaplan owns both) that are suppose to be really good. Also, I see their practice exams have been updated with R2 content.

What would you all suggest?

I haven't taken the exam yet. I have watched the nuggets and bought the STS exam for 70-640. I'm still using mainly the MSPress guide, but I did notice STS have updated their exam a couple of times since I installed it.

After a guy on here said he had like a third of the questions on certificate services, I took an extra look at the STS exam, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of new question on CS.

Anyway, STS seems well-written and is different enough from the tests included in the MSPress guide to seem useful. Caveat Emptor, though as I haven't taken the exam.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I just bought the SelfTest Software practice test for 70-640. It has been updated to cover the R2 material.

I have used them with success for my MCSA exams on 2003 and would recommend them.
  • ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    it2b wrote: »
    I just bought the SelfTest Software practice test for 70-640. It has been updated to cover the R2 material.

I have used them with success for my MCSA exams on 2003 and would recommend them.

Is this it?

http://www.selftestsoftware.com/product.aspx?product_id=70-640&dept_id=1061
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
  • unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITVince wrote: »

Yup that is it. Just purchased it the other day. Got the 30-day online access. So far not too bad. The questions have R2 content and the answers have pretty good explanations about what is right and wrong along with links to Technet that cover that topic.

I will say though, and this is my first experience with practice exams for a major certification so maybe this is common, I have found a couple of questions where I know the answer is not 100% accurate. Also I've run across a few typos or some errors in facts. For example, one question was asking about running adprep from the R2 disc and listed the path as \sources\adprep which is the path in R1. R2 is \support\adprep.

So little errors like that that kinda bother me, but they don't really affect the question or correct answer. Overall so far I am satisfied. It's a good way to catch the areas you may need to focus on or give some insight into areas you thought you already knew enough about.
    Thanks man, although those errors may be some what minimal...its really important to know the CORRECT answer. Exams love to ask you the difference between paths between versions of operating systems. XP and Win 7 are diff and now R1 and R2 are different...I could see basic questions on things like that so its important to know the correct paths for the OS they are refering to. I'll have to keep this in mind when studying to double check things like this.
    Currently studying for:
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    With Transcender and Self test when you find those errors (especially since it has just updated to R2 content) provide feedback to them and they fix errors.
    On another note when you get to the point that you can spot errors in the practice tests you are well on your way to being ready for the test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Wish I had $100 to spend on their self-test sotware....I dont have that kind of money to spend but maybe i'll have to fork it up. Their trial test with 5 questions provided great explaination and much better then Sybex's cheapo easy multiple choice questions
    Currently studying for: