Options

JUST getting ....restarted?

teevan30teevan30 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site....but not new to IT. I am however just getting BACK into the IT arena. I've been out of this filed of work for about 5 years. I just recently landed a Helpdesk Tech I position though and I'm looking to put together a career path for myself. (It helps also that my employer will help to pay for certs)

There seems to be a lot of people on this site with great experience in the IT field so I'm hoping you can give me some good advice.

I recently started studying for the MCP-XP PRO certification, and I'm wondering if I should be starting out differently. Is there a specific way I should go about this seeing that I've been away for so long?

Any input is greatly appreciated! icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I'd start with pursuing certs that are relevant to the job you'll be doing on a daily basis, and if part of that is supporting XP, sounds like a good start. If they're getting ready to roll out 7 though that may be the better path to follow. Then look at where you want to go from there... if networking is your calling, hit up Cisco or Juniper certs, if it's systems, go for MS or Unix...
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd start with pursuing certs that are relevant to the job you'll be doing on a daily basis
    +1
    Work on the Certifications that will help you do your current job better -- especially if you are new to the job.

Then work on the Certifications that will help you get your next job -- either at your current employer or your next employer.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Top advice there from brianeaglesfan and our Cisco mod. Follow what they said and you'll be thankful you joined this site.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com