Options

I need Help what to do Comptia A+ School NYC ?

eljunbo809eljunbo809 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys right now I am in a bit of situation about 3-5 months ago i purchase the Mike Meyers Book Comptia A+ I read about 267 pages about to chapter 7, after that I stop studying because I receive the opportunity to work for a good job but after i finish with all the process of the job i didn't realize that there was a waiting period and in top of that is kind of hard to get the job because of so many applicants, well my question is this i want to take the Comptia A+ exams before the new rule comes into effect( the every 3 year renew certificate), so i have about 1 month left to study which means i will need to re-read everything again the Mike Meyers book and honestly that book is thick + not only that i have 1 year using macs so i kind of forgot my 13 years of been a PC user icon_biggrin.gif, So now i found a school well they offer the comptia A+ for $399.00 that includes the books registration and the teaching is part time so I believe is about 28 hours course in 4 weeks etc. and that is not including the exam fee. so do you think is worth it or can anyone of you guys recommend me a school in NYC ? Because Honestly that thing of studying myself that is boring i rather go to a school well i am learning with the teacher and specially now that i dont even have a PC at home now i am using mac, so please guy tell me if that is a good deal $399 and oh yeah i forgot to tell ya that the lady told me that the class is 3-4 people so is little i check that they have been in the business for 13 years so i feel they are reliable maybe. just take a look at the website

A+ training course in New York | Language School in New York ? PC TECH

Comments

• Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    If it covers both test then I think $399 is a good deal. That means you won't have it done by years end, so you will need to renew.

A better option might be to use the $399 and buy some old PCs off of Craigslist and rip them apart and put them back together a couple times. Maybe even get one that has issues.
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    citinerd wrote: »

A better option might be to use the $399 and buy some old PCs off of Craigslist and rip them apart and put them back together a couple times. Maybe even get one that has issues.

I did not spend $400, but I did buy old computers off Craigslist to learn on.

A note about the school - I am currently enrolled in a 2 year Computer Technology program at my local community College program, and one of the objectives for my program was to get the A+ Certified.

The college course helped me of course learn the basic basics, but as far as getting A+ certified.. I learned 10 fold more with self study using a Cert book like your Mike Myers Book-old Pcs-some CBT videos like the free professor Messor videos Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $400 for a little more you can get the LabSim from Testout along with several other tests. I can't see spending $400 on a class for the A+. Honestly I don't see the big deal about the 3 year vs forever cert from Comptia. Take the A+ then sometime next year take the Net+ that will cover the A+ renewal, Then take the Sec+ and that will cover the others. Now all you have to do is the CEUs for the Sec+ which if your continuing your education like a good tech isn't hard to do (50 ever 3 years).
  • Options
    I did not spend $400, but I did buy old computers off Craigslist to learn on.

A note about the school - I am currently enrolled in a 2 year Computer Technology program at my local community College program, and one of the objectives for my program was to get the A+ Certified.

The college course helped me of course learn the basic basics, but as far as getting A+ certified.. I learned 10 fold more with self study using a Cert book like your Mike Myers Book-old Pcs-some CBT videos like the free professor Messor videos Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training.

thanks a lot I appreciate it i decided to watch the 28 hour long video of professor messer i think i should do find, and i have a old computer at home so i am learning . :). by the way can i ask if you found a job after completing does 3 certificates i see you have?
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    eljunbo809 wrote: »
    by the way can i ask if you found a job after completing does 3 certificates i see you have?

Well I have been working as a (payed) intern at a local corporation here for about a year and a half. One my teachers from my computer program at the local CC recommended me for the job. I am very thankful that the teacher did that. I graduate the 17th, and I believe I will be hired on full time.

As for certs getting me here. I was here a long while before I ever got a cert.

Me being a college student is what got me here.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    melboogzmelboogz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey bro I signed up with netcom their in manhattan 20 west 33rd st istarted classes this monday i take my a+ this saturday and network + next week unfortunately i didn't make it for security + thats the first week of january so i have to renew for that one netcom next a+ and network + is dec 13 each course is 5 days long hope you know your stuff heres the number (212) 629-7265 ask for Kamil tell him melvin sent you he's a good guy he will help you out the school is good bro small class and teachers direct focus so i recommend anyone bor good luck hope this helps ps heres their website netcominfo.com
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only thing I did in NYC for A+ was go to the main Prometric Testing site on 2 Penn Plaza to take the exams. (I did take them about a week apart though because of work.) What had helped me out was the X amount of years of experience, Mike Meyers A+ All in One guide and Transcenders. In addition to that, those Professor Messer videos seem to be excellent for helping folks pass the A+. I didn't use them (I don't think those videos existed at the time I took them though, but if I had to, I would use them today.)

$400 seems like too much money for A+ studies, not for nothing.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The only thing I did in NYC for A+ was go to the main Prometric Testing site on 2 Penn Plaza to take the exams. (I did take them about a week apart though because of work.) What had helped me out was the X amount of years of experience, Mike Meyers A+ All in One guide and Transcenders. In addition to that, those Professor Messer videos seem to be excellent for helping folks pass the A+. I didn't use them (I don't think those videos existed at the time I took them though, but if I had to, I would use them today.)

$400 seems like too much money for A+ studies, not for nothing.

So overall after you got your A+ Certificate did you found a job, Because my main concern right now is that time is money i am unemployed and i really love to move on in life and base on all the posting in this site A+ is the way to go first to start as an entry level Help desk but i would like to know what was your experience in getting your first job with you A+
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    There is a FREE A+ program up in the Bronx and in Brooklyn. Its about 3 months long. Its a school called Per Scholas. You even get 10 college credits for completing it. They will pay for the A+ vouchers and I heard they are working on a network+ and some Microsoft classes. If you know your way around unemployment you can apply for it while you are going to school. Like a 599 program or something. If you have the time or know someone that does it wasnt a bad experience. My instructor no longer teaches there so i cant speak on the other instructors but i learned way more than just A+ objectives in my class.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There is a FREE A+ program up in the Bronx and in Brooklyn. Its about 3 months long. Its a school called Per Scholas. You even get 10 college credits for completing it. They will pay for the A+ vouchers and I heard they are working on a network+ and some Microsoft classes. If you know your way around unemployment you can apply for it while you are going to school. Like a 599 program or something. If you have the time or know someone that does it wasnt a bad experience. My instructor no longer teaches there so i cant speak on the other instructors but i learned way more than just A+ objectives in my class.

This is good info. and another user on here named SoundsGood also knows alot about it.
    i was considering enrolling for my network+ a while ago.
    It is free and they offer job placement.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So overall after you got your A+ Certificate did you found a job, Because my main concern right now is that time is money i am unemployed and i really love to move on in life and base on all the posting in this site A+ is the way to go first to start as an entry level Help desk but i would like to know what was your experience in getting your first job with you A+

I'm not the best person to ask this particular question. I was in IT about 8 years before I took the A+ (and Network+) and that was only because I thought I was going to use it as an MCSA elective. It has not been instrumental in getting me a job (my experience was).

Having said all of that, whether you are in NYC or Podunk, you are right; time is money. You are by a crapload of Barnes and Nobles in Manhattan alone. A better use of your time AND money would be to go to any one of them, get a Mike Meyers All in One guide (I believe the 7th edition is the latest one) and just go to town. Then you can get a couple of old desktops for CHEAP off ebay and do some work on them...reseating memory, upgrading the HD, etc.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    if you dont have access to a windows computer since you only have a mac, you can use this link to practice certain windows xp functions and commands just to get an idea of it.

Windows XP Emulator - Total Emulator
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240

I`ve seen job posting that the A+ alone is a requirement. You can do what i did after getting my A+, which was messing around with some staffing agencies but i would not rely on them to heavy. Once you find out how they actually operate its pretty upsetting but its for the experience and often the pay is somewhat decent. A lot more than nothing. All i know is that im sick of deployments and data migration. They are painfully simple.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]