CBT Nuggets SWITCH Released

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
TE,

I just received an email today that the CBT Nuggets SWITCH series has been released. I'll be interested to see anyone's feedback once they purchase it. Jeremy recorded this one as well so I'm sure it'll be very informative.

-Peanut
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

  • 416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • logicmyfootlogicmyfoot Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank god its bloody out finally.....been waiting for it since ages!
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    thank god its bloody out finally.....been waiting for it since ages!

    Agreed, I may take this exam as a break in my voice studies sometime next year.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • pitviperpitviper CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Got a chance to browse the new SWITCH series this weekend and while there are what feels like some much needed additions most of the videos are from BCMSN. I noticed about 5 new videos (including a new intro). Good stuff, just not sure if it's worth the upgrade price of $99 for those who purchased the BCMSN series already and are not using a streaming subscription.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    pitviper wrote: »
    Got a chance to browse the new SWITCH series this weekend and while there are what feels like some much needed additions most of the videos are from BCMSN. I noticed about 5 new videos (including a new intro). Good stuff, just not sure if it's worth the upgrade price of $99 for those who purchased the BCMSN series already and are not using a streaming subscription.

    This is good to know. I had been debating on picking up the CBT Nuggets for SWITCH or spending the $300 on the INE CCNP track (since I also have to do TSHOOT) and I think you just made up my mind for me.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    down77 wrote: »
    This is good to know. I had been debating on picking up the CBT Nuggets for SWITCH or spending the $300 on the INE CCNP track (since I also have to do TSHOOT) and I think you just made up my mind for me.

    I wish INE come out with the lab workbooks for the CCNP (particularly the Route).

    -Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

    -Mayor Cory Booker
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I wish INE come out with the lab workbooks for the CCNP (particularly the Route).

    -Peanut

    Agreed! I'll send an email off to Anthony and see how he responds to this one. In the meantime I'm using the BCMSN lab book (older) and may ask a colleague to borrow his Network Academy SWITCH lab book since he dropped out of the class.

    Maybe its a good time for a community lab thread?
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    down77 wrote: »
    Maybe its a good time for a community lab thread?

    Agreed, Just individual labs with a topology layout, a pdf with the objectives and then another pdf with the answers. If I was creating a lab for my studies in GNS3 I wouldn't mind sharing.
    Cisco Brat Blog

    I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

    Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    chmorin wrote: »
    Agreed, I may take this exam as a break in my voice studies sometime next year.

    Just a note for you as I see you're studying voice - job ads I'm seeing all state that they want people with years of experience in voice, which is why I'm not going after it. No one wants to train or help you along with it; you're already supposed to have paid experience with it, which leaves people who've merely studied it and gotten certified out in the cold.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Just a note for you as I see you're studying voice - job ads I'm seeing all state that they want people with years of experience in voice, which is why I'm not going after it. No one wants to train or help you along with it; you're already supposed to have paid experience with it, which leaves people who've merely studied it and gotten certified out in the cold.

    The same can be said for almost every non-helpdesk role.

    Your best bet is starting in a company that has a voice department, and moving up. I'm in a bit of a hybrid position at the moment, and got the experience to be here from help desk, then up to network technician, now I'm a network administrator. I am in the middle of a CUCM8.0 implementation/upgrade from 4.x while at the same time doing a range of other CCNA/CCNP level work. (Mostly CCNA, to be honest).

    You can never just get certified then suddenly get a job, there is (and always has been) alot more to it than that.

    Plus I enjoy voice, and if you enjoy voice you should learn it too. Just because you can't instantly get handed a job in it does not mean you shouldn't go after what you enjoy. Even if I never landed a voice position, I would have enjoyed the studies. That is more important IMHO then landing a job instantly.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • pitviperpitviper CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    No one wants to train or help you along with it; you're already supposed to have paid experience with it, which leaves people who've merely studied it and gotten certified out in the cold.

    That goes for any professional level cert – it’s not something that’s exclusive to voice. A CCNP who doesn’t know what he/she is doing can cause just as much damage (probably more)!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Noooooo! Don't buy the INE set! I couldn't stand those horrible and crazy synching and lag issues! Argh!
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    down77 wrote: »
    This is good to know. I had been debating on picking up the CBT Nuggets for SWITCH or spending the $300 on the INE CCNP track (since I also have to do TSHOOT) and I think you just made up my mind for me.

    Avoid. Me and other INE customers are very disgruntled at the moment due to the poor quality of their CCNP videos. Many are out-of-sync, the resolution is so small you can barely read the console outputs and their Flash based delivery system is laggy.

    Also, I contacted them to ask when their workbook will be updated for the new ROUTE exam. It won't be. Their support people denied all knowledge of its existence until I sent them a link to a post on their own forums where the instructor had previously stated it would be released.

    I bought the entire set 3 months ago and I'm due to sit ROUTE a week today. Needless to say, I haven't been able to watch the videos. They have seriously dropped the ball on their CCNP material.
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    Noooooo! Don't buy the INE set! I couldn't stand those horrible and crazy synching and lag issues! Argh!

    Someone else who feels my pain.
  • yiannityiannit Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If its ok i can post the SWITCH labs i have that i did at my university, theyre official cisco labs
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    pitviper wrote: »
    That goes for any professional level cert – it’s not something that’s exclusive to voice. A CCNP who doesn’t know what he/she is doing can cause just as much damage (probably more)!

    Are you implying that a CCNP obtained without any real-world experience doesn't know what he's doing, or that it's worthless? Surely not. Of course, experience is GOD, but we all have to start somewhere and have to rely on the pity of an employer to offer an experience-less wanna-be to get us going. I think someone with a CCNP at this stage would definitely have the advantage.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yiannit wrote: »
    If its ok i can post the SWITCH labs i have that i did at my university, theyre official cisco labs
    The official Cisco labs are copyrighted.
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    we all have to start somewhere
    Yeah -- that's usually the CCNA (or JNCIA or JNCIS or MCP or MCSA, etc).

    A CCNA who can't convince someone to give them a chance (and a job) doesn't get any more convincing in a technical interview just because they've added a CCNP to their resume.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    There are ONLY 4 new videos from the SWITCH video compared to the old BCMSN nuggets:
    BCMSN CBT Nuggets:

    Video 1: The Switch's Domain : Core Concepts and Design | 26:33
    Video 2: VLANs: Configuration and Verification|13:16
    Video 3: VLANs: In-Depth Trunking|35:57
    Video 4: VLANs: VLAN Trunking Protocol|33:21
    Video 5: STP: Foundation Per-VLAN Spanning Tree Concepts, Part 1|23:47
    Video 6: STP: Foundation Per-VLAN Spanning Tree Concepts, Part 2|34:21
    Video 7: STP: Rapid Spanning Tree Concepts and Configuration|24:10
    Video 8: EtherChannel: Aggregating Redundant Links|24:03
    Video 9: L3 Switching: InterVLAN Routing Extraordinaire|28:31
    Video 10: L3 Switching: Understanding CEF Optimization|16:54
    Video 11: Redundancy in the Campus: HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP Part 1|43:38
    Video 12: Redundancy in the Campus: HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP Part 2|23:38
    Video 13: Wireless LAN: Foundation Concepts and Design Part 1|26:26
    Video 14: Wireless LAN: Foundation Concepts and Design Part 2|22:56
    Video 15: Wireless LAN: Frequencies and 802.11 Standards|34:41
    Video 16: Wireless LAN: Understanding the Hardware|30:22
    Video 17: Wireless LAN: Configuration and Verification|17:28 extra video
    Video 18: Campus VoIP: Overview, Considerations, and AutoQoS|44:47
    Video 19: Campus Security: Basic Port Security and 802.1x|32:34
    Video 20: Campus Security: VLAN and Spoofing Attacks|31:15
    Video 21: Campus Security: STP Attacks and Other Security Considerations|15:08

    SWITCH CBT Nuggets:

    Video 1: Welcome to Cisco Switch: Watch Me First!|17:23 new video
    Video 2: The Switches Domain: Core Concepts and Design|42:03 duration changed
    Video 3: VLANs: Configuration and Verification|13:16
    Video 4: VLANs: In-Depth Trunking|35:57
    Video 5: VLANs: VLAN Trunking Protocol|33:20
    Video 6: STP: Foundation Per-VLAN Spanning Tree Concepts, Part 1|23:47
    Video 7: STP: Foundation Per-VLAN Spanning Tree Concepts, Part 2|34:20
    Video 8: STP: Rapid Spanning Tree Concepts and Configuration|24:10
    Video 9: EtherChannel: Aggregating Redundant Links|24:02
    Video 10: L3 Switching: InterVLAN Routing Extraordinaire|28:31
    Video 11: L3 Switching: Understanding CEF Optimization|16:54
    Video 12: Redundancy in the Campus: HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP Part 1|43:37
    Video 13: Redundancy in the Campus: HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP Part 2|23:38
    Video 14: Campus Security: Basic Port Security and 802.1x|32:34
    Video 15: Campus Security: VLAN and Spoofing Attacks|31:15
    Video 16: Campus Security: STP Attacks and Other Security Considerations|15:08
    Video 17: Campus VoIP: Overview, Considerations, and AutoQoS|44:47
    Video 18: Wireless LAN: Foundation Concepts and Design Part 1|26:25
    Video 19: Wireless LAN: Foundation Concepts and Design Part 2|22:56
    Video 20: Wireless LAN: Frequencies and 802.11 Standards|34:41
    Video 21: Wireless LAN: Understanding the Hardware|30:21
    Video 22: The Switches Domain: Additional Life-Saving Technology|22:49 new video
    Video 23: Monitoring: Your Pulse on the Network|45:43 new video
    Video 24: Campus Security: VACLs|14:27 new video
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Thanks for the info Tearofs.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    @Tearofs,
    So all the the videos on BCMSN and SWITCH (except the 5 extra videos) are all the same? What I mean is, they use the very same videos from BSMSN and just added five videos.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Yeah I was kinda wondering that myself. I know Jeremy said in the route video's he thought about reusing some of the video's but decided against it. Has anyone got both sets?
    Cisco Brat Blog

    I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

    Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I remember reading his blog, and he said the BSMSN and SWITCH are very the same.
    Cisco SWITCH Exam Review | tekcert.com
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    mattrgee wrote: »
    Avoid. Me and other INE customers are very disgruntled at the moment due to the poor quality of their CCNP videos. Many are out-of-sync, the resolution is so small you can barely read the console outputs and their Flash based delivery system is laggy.

    Also, I contacted them to ask when their workbook will be updated for the new ROUTE exam. It won't be. Their support people denied all knowledge of its existence until I sent them a link to a post on their own forums where the instructor had previously stated it would be released.

    I bought the entire set 3 months ago and I'm due to sit ROUTE a week today. Needless to say, I haven't been able to watch the videos. They have seriously dropped the ball on their CCNP material.

    This may be a YMMV statement. I've used their CCDA materials without a hitch and so far the CCNP videos have been as seemless from the MacBook using firefox. FWIW a coworker did ask our boss for a multiuser license for the SWITCH material so I may compare between the two after the new year.

    Shame about the Route workbook... wife is getting me the Cisco Press ROUTE Lab book as a late xmas gift.

    CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
Sign In or Register to comment.