Call manager on VMWare

tunerXtunerX Posts: 447Member ■■■□□□□□□□
I have successfully installed call manager on VMWare. If anyone needs any help, just ask.

Comments

  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Posts: 691Member
    tunerX wrote:
    I have successfully installed call manager on VMWare. If anyone needs any help, just ask.

    I may have some questions for you later...I am about to install VMWare on my laptop...for some other testing too.. :D
    Kenny

    A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • buulambuulam Posts: 55Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    are you still around?

    did you do this on esx or vmware workstation?
    Currently working on:
    CCNP (BCMSN, ONT, ISCW completed)
    HP ASE ProCurve Networking (BPRAN, Security completed)
  • keenonkeenon Posts: 1,921Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    well its good to see you guys back..

    icon_redface.gif i haven't been here much myself icon_eek.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • ciscokuwaitciscokuwait Posts: 1Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello TunnerX,
    Can you help me for MS virtual machine?
    Thanks
  • DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Posts: 108Member
    Hello TunnerX,
    Can you help me for MS virtual machine?
    Thanks

    I suggest you try VMWare server, its free!

    http://info.vmware.com/content/GLP_VMwareServer?urlcode=Google_Proliferation_Server&gclid=CNvTufOe54wCFQlQWAodSTzD7g
  • b3ginn3rb3ginn3r Posts: 2Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here are a series of video tutorials that will walk you through the CCM 4.x installation using VMware Player and the latest Cisco OS (2000.4.4a). Some of the older tutorials on the internet no longer work because OS version 2000.2.7 is not available for download.

    These instructions may work for MS Virtual Machines...

    http://www.blindhog.net/cisco-install-call-manager-4x-with-vmware/
  • gotbandwidthgotbandwidth Posts: 1Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it possible that once you have 4.x loaded, to then upgrade to 5.x? Or is 5.x only able to load on one of the recommended machines?
  • sementellicsementellic Posts: 1Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went through the steps but when I try to do the OS upgrade it fails and says its not cisco approved hardware...

    However, I tried to load call manage on the machine and that seems to work?

    Any suggestions as to why the os upgrade didn't work?
  • timbetztimbetz Posts: 2Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have call manager 6.0.1 running on my macbookpro in a vmware. Just make sure you set the OS to REDHAT ENTERPRISE 3 and give the filesystem 72gb (do not allocate) and make sure the network is bridged and you should have no issues installing.
  • copaceticcopacetic Posts: 2Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

    I also have Callmanager 6.1.1 running on VMware server. The only problem I have is poor qudio streaming quality from the CallManager (e.g. with MoH, dialing an unreachable number). Has anybody experienced this and knows a solution? The poor audio quality wont do me a favor while demonstrating it to a customer ;) Otherwise it seems to function normally, almost like the real thing.

    Would be grateful for any replies! Maybe I'm doing something wrong?!?! :P

    My VMware is configured with:
    - running on Windows 2003 server x64, Hardware: AMD X2 4600+, 4GB RAM
    - CM6 on Linux Red Hat Enterprise 3
    - 2GB RAM
    - 40GB HDD allocated (could this be the cause??)
    - bridged network
  • mikeeomikeeo Posts: 74Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    copacetic wrote:
    Hi,

    I also have Callmanager 6.1.1 running on VMware server. The only problem I have is poor qudio streaming quality from the CallManager (e.g. with MoH, dialing an unreachable number). Has anybody experienced this and knows a solution? The poor audio quality wont do me a favor while demonstrating it to a customer ;) Otherwise it seems to function normally, almost like the real thing.

    Would be grateful for any replies! Maybe I'm doing something wrong?!?! :P

    My VMware is configured with:
    - running on Windows 2003 server x64, Hardware: AMD X2 4600+, 4GB RAM
    - CM6 on Linux Red Hat Enterprise 3
    - 2GB RAM
    - 40GB HDD allocated (could this be the cause??)
    - bridged network

    To a customer? If you are selling Call Manager you must have the AUC specialization, if not you are an unauthorized partner.

    Also all AUC partners are required by Cisco to have a Call Manager lab with true MCS servers. So why are you using VMware?
  • copaceticcopacetic Posts: 2Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

    thanks for the reply. We already have a lab with a CM, but would like an additional vmware to test and demonstrate. We are not planning on selling the CM on VMware if that is what you mean. The bad audio streaming quality is irritating though. I have seen CM6 being run on laptops without this problem occurring. So if anybody knows how to fix this issue, I would be very thankful for help.
  • mikeeomikeeo Posts: 74Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    copacetic wrote:
    Hi,

    thanks for the reply. We already have a lab with a CM, but would like an additional vmware to test and demonstrate. We are not planning on selling the CM on VMware if that is what you mean. The bad audio streaming quality is irritating though. I have seen CM6 being run on laptops without this problem occurring. So if anybody knows how to fix this issue, I would be very thankful for help.

    I brought this up to the Cisco UC team yesterday, and they were deeply concerned (so concerned they wanted to know who you were) that some partners (you) were trying to demo Call Manager on VMware. There is a reason why you see the disclaimer on the initial install about performance problems when installing on VMware.

    Going forward Cisco may remove the ability to install CM on VMware due to your specific problem and what you are trying to do. So if the next release of Call Manager detects VMware and stops the install you have no one to blame except yourself.
  • LiveOptixLiveOptix Posts: 1Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check these out....


    See second to last bullet point on this one...

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps6837/prod_bulletin0900aecd806f742d.html

    My buddy Jermey's reaction to Cisco's permission regarding VMWare and CCM 6...

    http://www.ciscoblog.com/archives/voice_over_ip/cisco_callmanager/


    Cisco is okay with running CCM 6 in WMWare for demo or lab purposes.... Enough said.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Posts: 2,381Member
    LiveOptix wrote:
    Check these out....


    See second to last bullet point on this one...

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps6837/prod_bulletin0900aecd806f742d.html

    My buddy Jermey's reaction to Cisco's permission regarding VMWare and CCM 6...

    http://www.ciscoblog.com/archives/voice_over_ip/cisco_callmanager/


    Cisco is okay with running CCM 6 in WMWare for demo or lab purposes.... Enough said.

    It all depends on how you want to interpret "demo". If you are running CUCUM in VMWare to demo the product to potential customers and its performance is suffering or other features are not functioning properly (in this case poor audio streaming quality from the CUCM server) then I am POSITIVE Cisco will have an issue with it. Allowing people to use VMWare for lab purposes is only going to help more people learn the produce and that equals more sales. Plus it's so nice to be able to restore back to a snapshot to reset your CCIE lab to a fresh install :)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • mikeeomikeeo Posts: 74Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    LiveOptix wrote:
    Check these out....


    See second to last bullet point on this one...

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps6837/prod_bulletin0900aecd806f742d.html

    My buddy Jermey's reaction to Cisco's permission regarding VMWare and CCM 6...

    http://www.ciscoblog.com/archives/voice_over_ip/cisco_callmanager/


    Cisco is okay with running CCM 6 in WMWare for demo or lab purposes.... Enough said.

    Cisco is NOT ok with a partner using VMWARE to demo CUCM to customers I can assure you that.

    What Cisco is ok with is using it for lab purposes, trouble shooting etc...

    Cisco REQUIRES all Advanced UC certified partners to purchase CUCM software and MCS server hardware before they can offically sell Adv UC products.
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Posts: 230Member
    Has anybody had any luck installing ccm 5.1 in vmware? It looks straight forward for version 6.x but what about 5.1?
  • SoulreaverSoulreaver Posts: 74Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    im using vista ultimate x86 as my current os, and i cant get vmware to run,managed to install it using the administrative option but it wont run at all.

    i have tried to install cucm 6 with virtual box and virtual pc but i keep getting this error

    "the hardware you are using is not supported for this product. installation will now halt"

    i use the redhat option and give it a ton of hd space(dynamic hd)


    any help would be appreciated
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Posts: 322Member
    AlanJames wrote:
    Has anybody had any luck installing ccm 5.1 in vmware? It looks straight forward for version 6.x but what about 5.1?

    for 5 people have had problems. I'm not to sure if anyone got it to work, but these days its possible. You would just have to dig it out.
Sign In or Register to comment.