Options

Off topic question for those that are knowledgeable about TPMS

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
My mom is looking at getting a certified used 2009 Honda Accord LX. She would like to have a tire pressure monitor system. Rather than getting ripped off from having the dealership install one, I'm looking at a DIY kit I found a retrofit kit on Amazon for $140:Amazon.com: Orange Electronic P409S Retrofit Tire Pressure Monitoring System: Automotive

From the images it appears that for this kit installing the sensors simply involves screwing the sensors on the air valves on each tire. Am I correct on this ?
Any advice is welcome.

UPDATE: I've been reading some of the reviews and it appears that the tires may need to be removed to install the sensors, crap.

Second update: This system looks foolproof to install: http://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Wireless-Monitoring-System-Sensors/dp/B0014GRUWU/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1291347533&sr=1-3

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    I have a device similar to that, but she does not want to bother having to check each tire manually.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    If it's a 2009, it should have a TPMS as they were required as standard equipment on all US models sold after 2007
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    If it's a 2009, it should have a TPMS as they were required as standard equipment on all US models sold after 2007

Thanks, even better news!
  • Options
    Well she bought the car today, it ended up being an all-day thing though.

The experience of car buying was a PITA though. The salesman kept pushing financing (as well as the finance guy), kept asking "What have you budgeted for your monthly payments?" several times even after she kept saying that she did not want to discuss that. In retrospect, it may have been a better idea to do financing if he would have given us a lower price and just sent them a check for the full amount before the first payment would be do.

When we were bargaining for lower prices he would often say that he would have to discuss it with his manager and run off for like 10 minutes at a time (most likely though didn't have to discuss it with a manager and just took a coffee break according to some online resources).
  • Options
    We were going to make copies of the car keys today until I learned that the vehicle has an anti theft system that requires that the keys have an RFID chip to start the car. Does anyone know of any car key blanks that come with a programmable RFID (or similar to RFID) chip (prefer not having to get ripped off at the dealership and spending around $100 on a spare key)? It might not be worth it though depending on the cost of the reader to program it with.