Options

Passed today!

2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I scored lower on this than I did my CCNA, but I was pleased with the score nonetheless. Celebrate tonight! Then I'm taking a month off of studying. We are having our fifth child sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.

Comments

• Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    Congrats on the pass and the baby!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert and the new baby.
    Get some sleep now before that baby comes, I'm sure you know the drill by now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Enjoy your Celebration drunken_smilie.gif and good luck with the impending sleep deprivation icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the child and CCNA Sec :P.

What did you use to study and which of those materials did you find useful?
  • Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the following resources:

CBT Nuggets
    Cisco Official Study Guide
    Exam Cram
    Darril Gibson's Security + Book (I took Security+ just under a month ago. There is definately a lot of overlap).

I enjoyed reading both books. The Cisco book gave lots of extra information and the Exam Cram was more focused in nature. I re-read most of the Cisco book the day before the exam. I would also concur with others on this forum that have said that the Boson Exam Sim in the back of the Cisco book was worth the price alone. I didn't use the practice tests at the back of the Exam Cram book simply because of how good the Boson Exam Sim was.

CBT Nuggets was great for all the hands on material, but Ciarra didn't delve too deeply into organizational security or different types of attacks. His nuggets on Firewalls and VPNs were worth their weight in gold.

I labbed Zone-Based Firewall Policies and VPNs until I could perform everything from the CLI. After that, I made sure I could find everything in the SDM. I have never used AAA so I configured a TACACS+ server and made sure I was comfortable with how to configure authentication methods.

I didn't lab ACLs and Layer2 security much only because I've done it on the job.

Hope this helps,
  • Options
    maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2ndchance wrote: »
    I used the following resources:

CBT Nuggets
    Cisco Official Study Guide
    Exam Cram
    Darril Gibson's Security + Book (I took Security+ just under a month ago. There is definately a lot of overlap).

I enjoyed reading both books. The Cisco book gave lots of extra information and the Exam Cram was more focused in nature. I re-read most of the Cisco book the day before the exam. I would also concur with others on this forum that have said that the Boson Exam Sim in the back of the Cisco book was worth the price alone. I didn't use the practice tests at the back of the Exam Cram book simply because of how good the Boson Exam Sim was.

CBT Nuggets was great for all the hands on material, but Ciarra didn't delve too deeply into organizational security or different types of attacks. His nuggets on Firewalls and VPNs were worth their weight in gold.

I labbed Zone-Based Firewall Policies and VPNs until I could perform everything from the CLI. After that, I made sure I could find everything in the SDM. I have never used AAA so I configured a TACACS+ server and made sure I was comfortable with how to configure authentication methods.

I didn't lab ACLs and Layer2 security much only because I've done it on the job.

Hope this helps,

Congrats on the pass! however i have one minor question about your prep for labs. What did you use as a TACACS+ server? software?
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    What did you use as a TACACS+ server? software?

I'm curious too.

EDIT:

I came across these with a quick google search, 2ndchance, were any of these the ones you used?

http://www.shrubbery.net/tac_plus/
    http://www.gazi.edu.tr/tacacs/
    http://www.pro-bono-publico.de/projects/