Options

InfoSec Job Question

durnenmrdurnenmr Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was recently offered a job for an entry-level Information Assurance position with the DSAWG secretariat. I'm curious what salary those with experience in infosec might expect for this position. If anyone has some spare time, I have posted a description below:
The Defense Information Assurance (IA) / Security Accreditation Working Group (DSAWG) are a 14-member body, including representatives from the Services, Joint Staff, Intelligence Community, and other Department of Defense (DoD) Components and offices.
· It is the first level accrediting or accreditation review authority for the transport, network management, and network segments of the Defense Information Systems Network (DISN).
· The DSAWG also acts as the community jury for assessing and managing risk to the DoD Global Information Grid (GIG), as authorized by the DISN/GIG Flag Panel and DoD Principal Accrediting Authorities (PAAs).
  • Prepare for DSAWG meetings, including responsibility for coordinating and scheduling the meeting facility, communicating with the DSAWG Membership and presenters, and developing the agenda and voting ballots.
  • As a member of the DSAWG Secretariat, the incumbent assists the DSAWG Chair by providing administrative support and IA/security technical and policy research and advice. This support enables the high level of focus and agility required of the DSAWG Chair and Members when executing risk-balanced decisions for the DoD Information Enterprise.
  • Review briefing and other materials to be presented at DSAWG meetings, and prepare the Meeting Notebook for the DSAWG Chair.
  • Provide audio/visual support during the meetings.
  • Assist in writing meeting minutes covering DSAWG discussions, decisions, and action items.
  • Properly and securely store hard copy and electronic files in accordance with applicable file management and document security policy and guidelines.
  • Keep e-mail distribution and other contact lists up to date.
  • Receive, review, respond to, or route as appropriate incoming emails; and, compose and disseminate outgoing emails to DSAWG voting members, briefers, and other stakeholders, to ensure the proper flow of information to/from the Secretariat and the DSAWG Chair.
  • Write, review, track, disseminate, and archive the results of DSAWG e-votes and other actions.
  • Write and coordinate weekly, monthly, annual, and other status reports of DSAWG, Secretariat, and Chair significant events.
  • Responsible for the user-level development and content management of the DSAWG classified and unclassified websites and databases.
  • Develop and maintain an internal task and action tracking system, using a combination of Microsoft tools, including but not limited to the Outlook Task List, Excel Spreadsheets, and Access databases.
  • Review stakeholder requests and research other topics as required, and provide assessments and recommendations to the DSAWG Chair based on knowledge of DoD and other applicable IT and IA policy and guidelines.
  • Minimum five (5) years hands-on IT policy and/or technical experience (preferably within DoD or other Federal Government entity), including minimum three (3) years IA policy and/or technical experience
  • Strong administrative and organizational skills
  • Highly professional manner in working with customers on the phone and via email
  • College graduate level command of English for business correspondence and report writing
  • Experience in soft- and hard-copy file management
  • Excellent typing and MS Office skills (minimum MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access; experience with MS Project & InfoPath a plus)

Qualifications

Bachelors Degree in a related field (e.g., Information Assurance, Computer Science, Information Systems Management, General Business, etc.) or other related scientific or technical discipline with a minimum of five years of directly related work experience required.

Preferred:
  • Strong interest in broadening IT/IA experience by addressing unique, DoD Information Enterprise level topics
  • Experience in working Cross-Domain Solution (CDS) topics a plus
  • CompTIA A+ certification (in addition to Security+)
  • CISSP certification
  • Vendor IT certifications (for example, Microsoft MCP/MCSE)
  • Experience in note-taking and minutes preparation for large meetings
  • Experience in briefing small groups and working on an individual basis with senior (O-6-level) leaders

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    A couple of weeks ago I saw a posting from a university listing similar responsiblities for $55k. I can't remember the university.
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    i don't see in any way this is an "entry level" IT job. how did you land the position anyhow? it requires 5 years of experience. i assume you're starting out in IT.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    Yes I am starting out with no experience, but a BBA in CIS and a security+ cert.

I feel it would be an excellent starting opportunity, but a part of me is curious whether they're willing to offer more. Is it a risky move to ask if there is room for negotiation? If I were to ask,is it possible that they may revoke their offer altogether? Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    no disrespect to anyone in this profession but it sounds boring to me. I need more hands on. Sounds like a lot of micro-management.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does this job require a higher level clearance?

Nice to see someone else from the VA area. I actually graduated HS in Fredericksburg.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's actually a pretty good opportunity IMO, DSAWG actually has a LOT of input into DIACAP controls... they may even have total authority to change them, I don't know. But if you are looking to get into IA, this is an excellent place to start... but expect a lot of type A personalities. :)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I Definitely agree with you, its a great opportunity to get into this area of IT.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Agent- chancellor grad, you?

I am looking to get into IA. It may end up being boring but I'm more so interested in what doors it will open for me in the future.

Cole, you are correct. I have DIACAP listed as a familiarity on my resume actually and I think me explaining it and its relationship to DSAWG is partially why I was offered the position on the spot
  • Options
    Courtland '95 here.

Let us know if you take the job and how it goes!
  • Options
    I just accepted the offer. And it does require a top secret clearance.

Agent- A cougar huh? Ouch. ;)
  • Options
    Yeah... good old cougars.

Congrats on the job!

With a clearance youll be making decent money. Are you commuting from F'Burg to DC?
  • Options
    Actually moved to ft.Meade, MD so ill be commuting from there. A little better than from fburg but still going to be a hike
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    durnenmr wrote: »
    Actually moved to ft.Meade, MD so ill be commuting from there. A little better than from fburg but still going to be a hike

I live not too far from Ft. Meade. How do you like the area?