Options

Alternative to A+

2»

Comments

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only caveat to the that is if you are attempting to get a government job the Sec+ or equivalent may be required for the position.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    The only caveat to the that is if you are attempting to get a government job the Sec+ or equivalent may be required for the position.

Also heard you have to renew every 3 years anyway.. correct me if im wrong icon_neutral.gif
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I think A+ is a solid idea... I'm going to cram in Security+ since I already have A+, but I would think any job that requires Security+ would most likely make you get the more recent cert instead of the lifetime one... pure speculation on my part, but makes sense to me...

anyhow, good luck
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I'm studying for 70-680 right now and I didnt know MS client certs alone can help you with support jobs that much
    thats helpful to know since im looking for a better job than current one
    meh
  • Options
    badboyeee wrote: »
    Also heard you have to renew every 3 years anyway.. correct me if im wrong icon_neutral.gif

You can either renew it by taking a test or by completing continuing education requirements and paying the fee. If you complete it this year it is lifetime and then you can enroll in the renewal program for the separate certification. CompTIA stated you will keep your lifetime cert and be able to have a renewable one.

Now I do not know if anyone other than the government is going to care if you have a renewable CompTIA certification. For years no one has cared until 8570.1M came along which mandated ISO compliance for its management and tech certification levels. Remember the trio is for foundational entry level knowledge which means "you know the basics so we can skip that."
    Degrees:
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    You can either renew it by taking a test or by completing continuing education requirements and paying the fee. If you complete it this year it is lifetime and then you can enroll in the renewal program for the separate certification. CompTIA stated you will keep your lifetime cert and be able to have a renewable one.

Thanks for the info. May I get more information on what the "continuing educations requirements" are and what the "renewal program for the separate certification" is? Is there a link out there?
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    badboyeee wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. May I get more information on what the "continuing educations requirements" are and what the "renewal program for the separate certification" is? Is there a link out there?

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

As requested.
    Degrees: