640-802 question about sims

jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
Without breaching the NDA, obviously, how in depth are the sims on the CCNA exam? Would you be expected to do something such as take multiple routers from a factory state and configure all interfaces and routing to a certain specification? Or will there already be an existing config that you have to modify to achieve the goals set in the questions?

Also, are there any good practice exams you'd recommend that have good examples of CCNA type sims?
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    Without breaching the NDA, obviously, how in depth are the sims on the CCNA exam? Would you be expected to do something such as take multiple routers from a factory state and configure all interfaces and routing to a certain specification? Or will there already be an existing config that you have to modify to achieve the goals set in the questions?

Also, are there any good practice exams you'd recommend that have good examples of CCNA type sims?

I loved using Packet Tracer but you are required to be an alumni or current member of the Cisco Networking Academy to access it.

The sims are very much in-depth and require you to know multiple routes to get to the end solution. Sometimes you may even get stripped of normal commands and shortcuts so know the full versions of all commands you intend to use or are asked to use. There isn't really a "progress bar" to tell you that you have completed x task so you make sure to continually save your settings and view your running config to ensure your progress is recorded correctly.
    Mods: If this does violate NDA, please delete it.
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Good question OP, I would like to hear more opinions.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    The Sims are quite daunting at first, but if you know all the config and show commands in the books/videos, you shouldn't have any problem.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The general consensus is that you shouldn't spend more than 10 minutes on a sim, so obviously anything that they throw at you in one should be doable in well under 10 minutes. This is the CCNA, it's not going to get too hairy. As far as the size and depth of any sim, even if I wanted to tell you I couldn't. They're all different, and the ones you get will be different than the ones I got.

Make sure that you read through the exam blueprint which can be found here. Every topic where you see "configure", know how to configure it, know how to verify it and know how to figure out why it's not working. And don't make any assumptions. Here is a good place to begin. If you can do these labs on your own, you can handle anything Cisco is going to throw at you.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wbosher wrote: »
    The Sims are quite daunting at first, but if you know all the config and show commands in the books/videos, you shouldn't have any problem.

This is way true. When you keep doing labs and troubleshooting stuff, it'll be easy. You'll fly through the sims like they weren't anything.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Besides the exam blueprint, there may be some SIM type questions or labs on The Cisco Learning Network web site.

I usually don't think to mention it because I just assume that anyone certifying on Cisco has visited the main Cisco web site certification page and followed the exam links over to the Cisco Learning Network on their own -- and then poked around to see what all they make available there.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    The Exam Cram book has some simulation questions as well. I found the simulators rather refreshing than the questions. With the simulators I can correct an issue I screw up or troubleshoot something. With questions it's right or wrong.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I usually don't think to mention it because I just assume that anyone certifying on Cisco has visited the main Cisco web site certification page and followed the exam links over to the Cisco Learning Network on their own -- and then poked around to see what all they make available there.

We wish...

Anyway, The lab's will be cake as long as you are confident and polished in configuring what you learn in the book. Practice what you read, and you will be fine.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.