Options

Autounattend (first attempt)

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I finally got some time to try this ... my results weren't what I expected.

I created the file, but had to provide input in order to move to the next page. If it's suppose to be unattended, doesn't that mean I can boot it up and walk away... and the file provides the answers to all the input areas? I expected it to move along while I enjoyed a Sam Adams Winter Lager :D... but it didn't!

I used the books reference answer file, but found a reduced one on the MS site. Below is my xml file ... Basically I configured it to created a 100 GB partition and install the OS... I was dissappointed when I got to the product key selection and just clicked next without entering anything, but it was ok...and moved along. It also set my home page to the what I provided in the file, so its reading the file... but why did I have to select next on all the prompts ... I was figuring I would just tap the space bar on the initial "boot from DVD / CD" and it would run the course after that???

Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Thanks
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Per the MS Press book that I have these are the minimum settings that need to be set.
  • Options
    Repo Man wrote: »
    Per the MS Press book that I have these are the minimum settings that need to be set.

Have you successfully deployed a system using these min requirements?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    I did the following answer file, but like I said ... I expected it to be a "no touch" unattended install, and it wasn 't... I had to click-thru everything, just as a standard install. Only thing, written earlier... it looks like it's referencing the file, since it's downloading updates (now) and I left the "product key" blank when I clicked next at the prompt, additionally it set the homepage in IE.

So I'm confused and new to MS certs / books. I thought an unattended install, meant a "no touch" install. Am I wrong?

Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    Yes, it has worked for me.
  • Options
    Yes, it has worked for me.

So you didn't provide any input at all? I wonder why mine was not successful.

I wonder if it matters that I used Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit?

I have Ultimate, but didn't want to install two copies on the same network--but I suppose I could try it.
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    So you didn't provide any input at all? I wonder why mine was not successful.

I wonder if it matters that I used Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit?

I have Ultimate, but didn't want to install two copies on the same network--but I suppose I could try it.

No input needed. Only thing I needed to do was remove my
    flash drive after the first reboot as that is a known issue with VMWare.
  • Options
    No input needed. Only thing I needed to do was remove my
    flash drive after the first reboot as that is a known issue with VMWare.

ok ... that didn't work ... basic answer file as you attached and shown in the book. still boots up, I have to "press any key" to boot to DVD, and it loads to the prompt "what version do you want to install".

Do I need a blank HDD?

Currently I have a a HDD with two partitions. I even included on one of the previous answer files to create a new partition of 100 GB (at least I thought I had it right).

I had some some files backed up on the 2nd partition, but transferring them to my technician computer now. Then I'm gonna wipe the entire HDD and boot it up from there.

If anyone has a clue what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate your input. Reading the book, you'd think this is simple... build the answer file, pop in the Win7 disk and flash drive ... and let it rip!

I have the BIOS boot order set to DVD-ROM, USB, SATA... don't understand, nor know what to expect... but I would think you would boot it up, it searches for the autounattend file and once found, loads the OS... is n't that what it should do?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    So, the only issue you are having is that you still have to click the next, next, finish buttons? Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    So, the only issue you are having is that you still have to click the next, next, finish buttons? Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Yup!

After wiping the HDD, it boots right into the setup and ask me to select the OS, after that I select next, next, create a user, password and name the computer etc.

I'm new to the imaging stuff and answer files. I would think if this is the bare minimum I would not need to modify anything else (according to the MS Press book) except what is pointed out already, is that true?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Your answer file seems to be "off." If you still have to name computer, create admin, admin password, etc. Answer files can be written to include all of that. Basically you deploy and the user sits down to a fresh desktop, without having to touch a thing.

Make sure your answer file has computer name, admin name, password, etc.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Yea, that is what I figured... but I swear I did it the right way the first time, but it still prompted me. For example ... earlier in the thread I shared ...

It prompted me for the product key, though I had entered it in the answer file... out of frustration I just clicked next leavng the product key blank!... lol
    ...and it went right on through. After it finished and rebooted it downloaded updates. It also set the homepage, another configuration / modification I made to the answer file.

So I it's referencing the answer file, however it still prompts through each step... chances are I just need to click next (without providing input). However what would be the point of an "Autounattend" install, if I have to "attend"! icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    Weekends here... I get to look at this again ... Currently copying all 3 files to my thumb drive, whereas before I only had the autounattend.xml file on the drive.icon_study.gif

install_windows 7 Utlimate.clg, Autounattend.xml and Install.wim

I wonder if that will matter?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    Wow... still no luck!!!icon_scratch.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    Got it! Success!!! icon_cheers.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So, how did you fix it?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    So, how did you fix it?

Well, in short ... I was using the 64-bit image using 32 bit components.

I finally stumbled upon a link that helped me understand the difference between the settings when it comes to building an answer file on a 64-bit system. The book uses a 32-bit example and after reading the info, you don't have the other options available if you use the 32-bit image (never confirmed). So it was confusing when I first started ... I assumed amd64 applied to AMD processors and I have an Intel, so I naturally felt compelled to follow the book and didn't pick up on the x86 option applying to 32-bit!

"You can configure both amd64 and wow64 settings for 64 bit answer file, you can only configure x86 setting for 32 bit answer file. Meanwhile, the following list describes..."

So with that link and this one, I successfully did an automated install!

Hope this helps someone else, because the info was hard to find.
    WIP:

Future Certs: