Options

SK0-002 vs. SK0-003 Server+

NetAdmin84NetAdmin84 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I see that both exams are being offered, 2009 the Server+ edition as well as the 2005 Server+ edition (which is going to be retired at the end of the year Dec 31, 2010).

The breakdown of the exams are as follows:

2005 ed.
80 Questions
90 Minutes
Passing Score is 615
(on a scale of 100-900)
= 72% to Pass

2009 ed.
100 Questions
90 Minutes
Passing Score is 750
(on a scale of 100-900)
= 85% to pass

Considering no matter what edition you take you will still receive the "Life-Time" status certification, wouldn't it make more sense to take the 2005 edition before the end of the year??? Especially considering its less questions, with an easier pass rate?

Just wondering if anyone else had thought about this..:)
Currently reading:

Cisco Press: CCNA Offical Exam Certification Library - Wendell Odom
Sybex: CCNA Study Guide - Todd Lammle
ExamCram: CCNA - Michael Valentine

Currently pursuing:

CCNA - CWNA - MCTS

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NetAdmin84 wrote: »
    I see that both exams are being offered, 2009 the Server+ edition as well as the 2005 Server+ edition (which is going to be retired at the end of the year Dec 31, 2010).

The breakdown of the exams are as follows:

2005 ed.
    80 Questions
    90 Minutes
    Passing Score is 615
    (on a scale of 100-900)
    = 72% to Pass

2009 ed.
    100 Questions
    90 Minutes
    Passing Score is 750
    (on a scale of 100-900)
    = 85% to pass

Considering no matter what edition you take you will still receive the "Life-Time" status certification, wouldn't it make more sense to take the 2005 edition before the end of the year??? Especially considering its less questions, with an easier pass rate?

If it were me, I would probably take the 2009 exam. The fundamentals will still ring true in either exam but when it comes to entry levels certs, I've seen that having them up-to-date looks better on resumés. On other edge of the sword, it is true the earlier version is easier to pass (minimum score wise) but what if your employer forces you to update your cert? (less likely with Server+ but the possibility is always there)

Mods: If you see this please merge it with this one:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/server/60747-sk0-002-vs-sk0-003-server.html#post477096
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    NetAdmin84 wrote: »
    ...Considering no matter what edition you take you will still receive the "Life-Time" status certification, wouldn't it make more sense to take the 2005 edition before the end of the year??? Especially considering its less questions, with an easier pass rate?

I have only taken the 2009 beta (and passed it)... However just because the 2005 version has less questions and a slightly lower pass rate, doesn't mean that it's easier. The 2009 version may have slight easier overall questions (or it may be better worded), hence the higher pass mark.

I would not recommend taking "less questions & lower pass mark" being equal to easier.

-Ken