Options

XP Disk

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi Guys

I am trying to make a new XP volume license disk its really pissin me off, my disk has gone awol and I even have 2, isnt losing CDs just so frikin ****, here is what I done so far

1. Downloaded setup files for XP
2. Edited the set-up.ini file to make it a volume license install (last 3 numbers 270)
3. Open Nero choosing CD-ROM BOOT
4. Copy over all the set-up files
5. Make the name of the disk VRMPVOL_EN
6. Click burn

Does that look sweet?

Then how is that something called Caldera loads up to an A promt

Then I retry removing emulation to A: and it says Cannot load DOS

Any help would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Lee H wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am trying to make a new XP volume license disk its really pissin me off, my disk has gone awol and I even have 2, isnt losing CDs just so frikin ****, here is what I done so far

1. Downloaded setup files for XP
    2. Edited the set-up.ini file to make it a volume license install (last 3 numbers 270)
    3. Open Nero choosing CD-ROM BOOT
    4. Copy over all the set-up files
    5. Make the name of the disk VRMPVOL_EN
    6. Click burn

Does that look sweet?

Then how is that something called Caldera loads up to an A promt

Then I retry removing emulation to A: and it says Cannot load DOS

Any help would be great

Thanks

Obtaining new Volume License media should be far easier than trying to get an OEM copy.

Simply log into your account and access your licenses and media. eOPEN switch program names around Fed-2010 so you may need to re-activate your account but MS seems to be very helpful with that.

If you have a legal copy of the license, I think you are making too much work for yourself doing it the way you mentioned.

FWIW

Worst case, you may be required to puchase current licensing and then exercise your downgrade options. Nevertheless, Volumne license stuff is all digital so losing media is a thing of the past.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Download it from eOpen if you have a legit agreement, you can buy media from most big resellers for $20 you can even get a copy from bit torrent without breaking any rules.

Media is essentially free after all, you just need a legit license.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys although I was hoping for a clue about what I was trying to do but its cool now as my other half is awesome at finding everything so now my XP Pro SP2 disk is locked away safe

:)
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You're using the wrong boot floppy image. You need the one that was part of the original disk and not the one that Nero is using. You need to use a tool to extract the image from the original disk such as isobuster. It doesn't appear as part of the normal file structure.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was working on someone's computer once and only had an xp professional disk. Didn't notice it at the time, but they needed the xp home oem disc. I was able to find it online and downloaded it to fix them up.

I'm not positive on how legal it is, but I don't see anything wrong with it. The software was legit (I used the key off the bottom of the laptop) I just needed the media.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I was working on someone's computer once and only had an xp professional disk. Didn't notice it at the time, but they needed the xp home oem disc. I was able to find it online and downloaded it to fix them up.

I'm not positive on how legal it is, but I don't see anything wrong with it. The software was legit (I used the key off the bottom of the laptop) I just needed the media.

I tried that a while back but they were all cracked versions and not a fully untouched one

I have my disk now safe and soon as i can gonna make a copy and rip an ISO

Thanks for your help