Options

Wording of questions

brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
I am aI still miss some things when it comes to DAC, MAC, ans RBACs. I will have to review cryptography as well. But what really gets me in taking the various practice tests is the wording. For a example the question was asked which backup would backup all of the files since the last backup? Under the right conditions a full, a differential, or an incremental would backup all the files that have changed since the last backup, but the answer was differential. I worked for years backing up data, I was up to 80 terabytes at my last job, I certainly know the difference between the various types of backups. Two full in a row will backup all the files that have changed since the first. So will the first incremental. So I didn't know if it was a trick question, or just not worded clearly.

So are the questions straight forward?

Comments

• Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I had to reread your paragraph 3-4 times as well :D

If the question was worded:
    "Which backup would backup all of the files since the last FULL backup?

The "best" answer would definitely be DIFFERENTIAL.

But yeah, that question the way you had it is pretty tricky.

I haven't taken the exam yet but I just finished that part in DG's book (Chapter 8 ). :D
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    What practice test were you taking? In my experience a lot of practice exams have typo's etc... Don't worry about it. IF you know the material just go for it. The exam is not that hard.
  • Options
    bdub wrote: »
    What practice test were you taking? In my experience a lot of practice exams have typo's etc... Don't worry about it. IF you know the material just go for it. The exam is not that hard.

***********.com
  • Options
    brownwrap wrote: »
    ***********.com

My reply wouldn't let me put in the website, but it was Actual Tests.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My reply wouldn't let me put in the website, but it was Actual Tests.

Stay away from that site if you value your certifications. TE does not endorse "braindump" websites or the using of braindumps. Check Certguard.com in the future for information regarding whether the online material you are acquiring is a **** or not.
  • Options
    Stay away from that site if you value your certifications. TE does not endorse "braindump" websites or the using of braindumps. Check Certguard.com in the future for information regarding whether the online material you are acquiring is a **** or not.

Someone gave me a printed out set of questions. I thought it was a legit company like Transcenders.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Someone gave me a printed out set of questions. I thought it was a legit company like Transcenders.

Np. I'm not insinuating you did this intentionally. It happens to the best of us. I'm just saying be careful in the future, :)
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Next time, use certguard.com and check out your site there. Especially if your site comes up with ******es.

Not for nothing though, but a site containing the word "acutal" should have been clue #1 that something was not kosher.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Next time, use certguard.com and check out your site there. Especially if your site comes up with ******es.

Not for nothing though, but a site containing the word "acutal" should have been clue #1 that something was not kosher.

I don't see a mention of sites not to use. I also went the site, Actual Tests, its not brain **** in the form I am used to seeing. They charge money to download the question and it comes with a test engine, so how does it qualify as a site not to use?
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    I can only assume web developers or whoever writes or manages web pages(not my strong point lol) have gotten smarter and stopped calling them ****. But 100% pass, money back guarantee with JUST using there test is also a giveaway. We all find out some where down the line. Just use the knowledge given and move forward.
    You shouldn`t use **** because they are compiled of ACTUAL Q&A`S from the test which undermines not only the ppl that studied hard it also under values a certifications value, If ppl who obviously don`t know there stuff are passing left and right. It will also hurt your reputation if its ever found out that you use **** to pass tests. Like i said. just take the knowledge and use it
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    I don't see a mention of sites not to use. I also went the site, Actual Tests, its not brain **** in the form I am used to seeing. They charge money to download the question and it comes with a test engine, so how does it qualify as a site not to use?

Many of those illicit sites will charge for money...that doesn't make them legitimate.

Protect your cert and reputation and use certguard.com in the future.

Darril's book is all you need to pass this exam, man. We've told you this.

The only people who **** CompTIA exams are mental midgets.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Many of those illicit sites will charge for money...that doesn't make them legitimate.

Protect your cert and reputation and use certguard.com in the future.

Darril's book is all you need to pass this exam, man. We've told you this.

The only people who **** CompTIA exams are mental midgets.

I was using alternate questions to test my knowledge. I have read the book from cover to cover, but still miss certain topics. Its not like I am trying to use any short cuts.

I have seen others point to Transenders and frankly I find no difference between Actual Tests and the Transenders test.
  • Options
    I was using alternate questions to test my knowledge. I have read the book from cover to cover, but still miss certain topics. Its not like I am trying to use any short cuts.

I have seen others point to Transenders and frankly I find no difference between Actual Tests and the Transenders test.

The actual stuff use actual questions from the exam. Transcenders use similarly worded questions that are not on the exam. In fact, I can tell you, I did not encounter many questions that were the same as the actual test.

I wasn't trying to attack you; I'm sure it was an honest mistake. However I was just advising that you want to make sure that you're using legitimate sources to pass your exam. The topics that you are missing on Darril's book can be answered with a quick Google search. Otherwise, it's pretty much a go come exam time if you scored 80% or better on the final exam at the end of the book. I have yet to read of someone here failing the exam using Darril's material. Even his detractors on Amazon (with the exception of one non-English speaking fellow who I suspect was a *****) passed the exam using just his book.

You'll seriously be fine man...that's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    I have gone to Google, WikePedia, and Yotube for things I've missed.

I always seem to miss questions on the security models, RBAC, MAC, and DAC. I know the difference between the three. I know MAC uses labels, I'm working on a military contract so I equate that the the different security clearances. I know RBAC is what can be used in Windows, though I use Solaris at work. and I know the user can set up access to files and directories with the DAC model, but I always miss though questions.

I can seem to memorize all the different crypt algorithms, their lengths and when they are used.

And I have some trouble with the IP stack.

I posted my original question because I know that topic and feel I missed the question only because of how it was worded. In nearly 40 years of working IT, I know the different kind of backups, but missed the question on interpretation.

So much of this boils down to just memorizing stuff that is never used.

Speaking of youtube, I not only watched Darrel's videos, but also an hour long lecture from one of the inventors of Diffie-Hellman
  • Options
    DAC is more used in windows than RBAC. RBAC (Role, not Rule) is more used in applications like PeopleSoft. Depending on your "role", you could set up groups that equates to roles in a Windows Domain environment. DAC is used more in workstation environments where folks will give access as they see in their "discretion."

I can tell you this much, you will recognize MAC, DAC and RBAC in a Security+ exam easily...it is terribly straightforward. Practice exams are uch harder (done intentionally so you actually learn the material.)

As for the IP stack, unless you're talking about the OSI model, that probably isn't going to be your dealbreaker on the exam. You are going to need to know what does what in the OSI model more than anything else. (What operates on the session layer, transport, etc.) Also "well-known ports". All of that is discussed in Darril's book, and if there are folks in the Federal Government with 4 hours of experiences compared to your 40 years passing this exam, you really should do fine.

Just schedule the exam and call it a day.
  • Options
    I work with people who never picked up a book to study for the exam. We have one guy who passed a Linux exam, but knows next to nothing about it. Another who passed SEC+ and now thinks he can pass a Solaris exam and become an administer. I have worked on Solaris since they had black and white monitors, no color, and he thinks he can step right in and do my job. It irks me to think that just because someone has a cert, or someone in HR who sees a cert, is on the same level as me.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Brownwrap, I am curious. Can you provide an example from Darill's book of MAC/DAC/RBAC questions that you find difficult? I wonder if you are missing those magic words that make or break the answer.
  • Options
    TrystanQuinnTrystanQuinn Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the pretest after I got a hold of the book and got an 80.7 (63/7icon_cool.gif and one of the questions mildly irked me. Number 9 has an obvious typo since the answer and the reason it's wrong say the same thing (though I kind of recall seeing this somewhere before...), but the one that did bother me was number 60. The question is "Of the following choices, which can be effectively used to combat an electrical fire while also preventing damage to equipment and protecting personnel?", the options are Foam, Halon, CO, and Heat. Unless CO is a typo and he meant CO2 (which the answer doesn't reflect) all four are incorrect. Halon (the answer it says) does NOT "protect personnel". Halon (at least the type we had on the Navy ship I served on for four years) acts by violently and quickly interfering with the chemical reaction and is very harmful to personnel. Some enclosures (like those containing the engines and generators) could have halon activated without ever affecting the personnel in the engineering space.
    I personally haven't come across a installation utilizing halon in an IT environment and am wondering if it would be something like this self enclosed environment or if this question is just a badly worded attempt to see if you've ever heard of halon before. :P
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    but the one that did bother me was number 60. The question is "Of the following choices, which can be effectively used to combat an electrical fire while also preventing damage to equipment and protecting personnel?", the options are Foam, Halon, CO, and Heat. Unless CO is a typo and he meant CO2 (which the answer doesn't reflect) all four are incorrect. Halon (the answer it says) does NOT "protect personnel". Halon (at least the type we had on the Navy ship I served on for four years) acts by violently and quickly interfering with the chemical reaction and is very harmful to personnel. Some enclosures (like those containing the engines and generators) could have halon activated without ever affecting the personnel in the engineering space.
    I personally haven't come across a installation utilizing halon in an IT environment and am wondering if it would be something like this self enclosed environment or if this question is just a badly worded attempt to see if you've ever heard of halon before. :P

check out Darril's Errata page:
    CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead Errata

The question should be read:
    "Of the following choices, which can be effectively used to combat an electrical fire while also preventing damage to equipment?"
    without the ending part "and protecting personnel"
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    TrystanQuinnTrystanQuinn Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the link, just had to make sure I wasn't going nuts. :P
  • Options
    badboyeee wrote: »
    check out Darril's Errata page:
    CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead Errata

The question should be read:
    "Of the following choices, which can be effectively used to combat an electrical fire while also preventing damage to equipment?"
    without the ending part "and protecting personnel"

I know this link has been posted, but just used it on page 422, step 3. It just didn't sound right, so I looked up the link and yes, its should have been public key instead of private key.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Brownwrap, I am curious. Can you provide an example from Darill's book of MAC/DAC/RBAC questions that you find difficult? I wonder if you are missing those magic words that make or break the answer.
    I was asked for an example of questions I missed. I just took the end of the book exam. I try to take it days apart, so I don't just memorize the correct answers. Go back and review what I am weak on. I reviewed the models ans still missed 3 questions. Of the 100 questions, I missed 6 clearly. 4 I got half right, either missed selecting one of the correct answers, or incorrectly selected a wrong answer, for a score I will say is 90. Of those missed questions, three were related to MAC, DAC, and RBAC.

10. I selected D sb A

My thinking was the owner sets up permissions on DAC, so I selected D. The question wanted ACLS.

11. C sb A

The question asked for predefined access priviledges, so I figured Roles are predefined.

12. C sb B

Again I know groups are predefined in Windows, so I selected RBAC, but the answer was NTFS's DAC model.