Options

A Polite Observation...

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but all these posts about how "poorly worded" Security+ begs me to ask..."Who gives a ____?"

I didn't have any issue reading the exam, as I'm sure all of you who took the exam didn't have a problem with it and passed. Heck, I just saw on Amazon's Darril's review where some guy in Puerto Rico passed it and felt the need to post his 5 star in Spanish. I dunno if his books are translated into Spanish or other languages, but I'm assuming his book is just in English (I could be wrong though). My whole point is, if that guy or other non-English speaking people can pass it with proper study, folks with a better grasp of the English language should be able to do the same.

All of this "poorly worded" stuff is just an excuse to freak out about the exam. It's really a non-issue; just get Darril Gibson's book, read it and do the questions, pass the test, and call it a day.

As I have always advised...R-E-A-D every word in the question. Especially if you get to that backup question...it isn't the same as in the practice exams (Darril's or otherwise). If you know the differences between differential and incremental backups though, that's a non-issue as well.

As long as you take this exam with calm, it could be written by a two-year old....you'll be fine.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Rightly said mate. If you know your material, no exam's too hard.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Totally agree with you on this one. I really only saw a handful of questions that seemed a little off. Otherwise they looked about the same as Net+ and A+ questions to me. Didn't see anything that said "Hey they got this question from engrish.com" icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    bobbaftbobbaft Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wonder if they've ever read the "poorly worded" Microsoft questions...the ones that give you 100 facts but only 2 or 3 are really needed :P
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    bobbaft wrote: »
    I wonder if they've ever read the "poorly worded" Microsoft questions...the ones that give you 100 facts but only 2 or 3 are really needed :P

Heh, I reacted to this when I sat for the Windows 7 Beta. There were no more epic poems of Contoso Inc. Just a sentence or two asking a config-question. I wasn't exactly shedding any tears for those long-lost paragraphs. icon_lol.gif

As for "poorly-worded questions", I think the word is "vaguely", not "poorly". Isn't this part of the process, figuring out what the answer is despite the problem not being obvious? The same goes for those wordy Microsoft questions: aren't we supposed to learn how to sift through a lot of unrelated information to figure out how to resolve issues? I, for one, have never had a real-world problem on the job that was straightforward and spelled out for me. None of my servers, routers, switches, or workstations ever took the time to hold my hand and walk me through what was wrong with them, it was my job to figure it out.

Only if a question is completely written wrong - like saying "the DNS server" when they meant "the DHCP server" - would I say that it's the question's fault you got it wrong, not yours. If you know your stuff, then you can figure out what the problem (question) is, solve (answer) it, and know that you got it right.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    /snip (original post)
    I agree. It's tricky, but not too vague or poor imo.

Slowhand wrote: »
    There were no more epic poems of Contoso Inc.
    Lol
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As my nickname suggests, I am from Puerto Rico. I wouldn't know what to do with an IT book written in Spanish. Due to the fact that all software and hardware is in English it makes more sense for most of us to study English material as well as test in English. I would love to see a review from a hispanic country not closely related to the US.

Having said that, erpadmin is 100% correct. If all IT exams had a resource by Darril Gibson, the number of certified professionals for that technology would be higher. His ability to be concise is impressive. Of you read the book you know that his "bus driver" comparison between Microsoft and CompTIA questions is right on the money.

Slowhand also brings a valid point, sifting through info in real life we've all been there. The user says one thing, Help Desk another and you manager a third one. When you analyze the issue you realize all of them were wrong.It is up to us to assemble the puzzle.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    couldnt agree with you any more your spot on with this one
    when I took it there was no problems I scored a 790 was happy with my score
    and it wasnt half as bad as every one made out pretty easy easyer than the Network Plus. My Network plus was tough but breezed through this one and the wording was alright.