Options

Using an ipad for WGU, does it work?

daburrrninatordaburrrninator Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going through the enrollment process at WGU and hope to start Jan 1st. I was planning on buying an ipad but before I do I wanted to see if anyone here is using it for WGU. The lack of Flash and Silverlight support makes me think I might run into problems with some of the training. I haven't seen their training material yet so I don't know if it's heavy on Flash or Silverlight.

I'd rather get a few opinions before I spend $500 and realize it doesn't do what I need it to.

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I already have an iPad and I can not do much with WGU with it. I use the mobile books 24/7 site to do some reading and thats about it. I would just get a netbook if you are looking for portability and battery life.
  • Options
    mypcrepairguymypcrepairguy Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    great post,
    I just recently started at WGU 12/01 and was thinking about this very idea. I researched the possibility of a obtaining a iPad or Kindle. I ruled out the iPad due to the lack of Flash (un-Jail broken) and currently I am leaning towards a Kindle to use as a eBook reader. I like the option of sticking a kindle in my backpack rather then a few large textbooks, and it would be easier to use during work too. My perfect combo is an ultralight portable laptop (HP 2530) and the Kindle. Hope this helps.
    And good luck!
    regards.
    (Start date 1/01/2011) BSIT: Network Design and Management

Units to Complete: (33)
    CLC1, WFV1(LOL), AKV1, TPV1(wip), AHV1, AIV1, AJV1

Transfered Units: (34)
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1,

Completed Units by Certification: (30)
    TEV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1

:study:currently reading: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide (Exam PK0-003) by Kim Heldman and William Heldman
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to have a lightweight Apple device you could get the new 11 inch Air. They seem pretty nice, though they're overpriced by about 600 dollars. I've read about a lot of people actually giving up their iPad for them. The reviews seem good. 1k for a netbook is painful though.

I like my iPad, it does a great job with the PDFs from the back of MS Press books. Online stuff seems like it would be a pain. Maybe you can try the Galaxy tab at a Verizon store and see if it would perform for the WGU stuff?
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Android tablet seems to be the way to go. At least once 2.3 is released. Just about to go purchase a nook color specifically for pdf purposes. However I know that you can flash the barnes and noble shell off of it and just go straight android 2.2, if you know what you're doing. I like to tinker with my stuff so it seems like a perfect fit. :D
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    daburrrninatordaburrrninator Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I already have a netbook but eventhough it is small, I still find it clunky. I also have an XT2 that I love for most things but it's not my method of choice for studying. I just purchased a nook and love the feeling of it. I was hoping to have the same option for videos and training materials.

Looks like I'll have to wait for either an Android Slate or some other Android tablet. I hate to be another one saying this, but why did Apple have to cripple a device with such potential.