Options

IT CAREER

BEE BEEBEE BEE Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I wish to change my career, I have been working for the past 15 yrs in a different sector, but right now I really want a change of career. my interests are troubleshooting, configuration and system maintenance as well as system security and network security.
kindly furnish me with a career plan and advice me on the necessary certifications i need to get, when i eventually get those certifications how do i start out, since i don't have any IT experience. what can of job offers can i get, when i get the necessary certifications. I guess i need to certify, as i can see that may be the only way i can get into the IT field.
MILLION TANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE.

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    What is your current knowledge level?

Some introduction certifications in those areas would be CompTIA's A+, Network+, and Security+. Check out the exam objectives at http://www.comptia.org and see how your current knowledge compares. If you find that you don't know that material, I would begin with those.
  • Options
    tschnabel99tschnabel99 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BB I'm a career changer. Let me tell you it ain't no picnic. Most career advisors will tell you that is the hardest thing to do. I was a machinist and now after obtaining my A.A.S. getting 2 years experience then being laid off,for 15 months, now I'm starting a new job as an IT Analyst @ $20 an hour. Are you prepared for that?

First you need some sort of education at least an A.A.S. if you don't you will have thousands of people with Bachelors and 2 year degrees in front of you. I started my degree at age 39, 4 years ago. Then or at the same time go with those certs mentioned in the previous thread. Also design and build a computer, install the O.S. and fix every computer in sight. Break the computer and rebuild it. Delete a .dll file, install a hardware device that is not compatible, install the wrong drivers and in general just try to make the computer do something its not supposed to. Open 10 instances of IE, what happens? Get email newsletters coming in like Tech Republic, etc. Try to find part time work while attending school.
    Hain't no thang like a chicken wang!!
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    tschnabel99, what made you jump to IT? Just curious, as it seems you really had no prior interest before deciding to.
  • Options
    tschnabel99tschnabel99 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, my buddy was a programmer. He helped me build a computer, right away I blew it up playing with it. I took the computers 101 class while working full time and loved that class. I always liked troubleshooting and fixing problems. I got laid off from the machinist job in November 99 and finding that I had a knack for computers and the DotCom bubble was in full force it just snowballed from that first class.
    Hain't no thang like a chicken wang!!
  • Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    That's the best way to start a career - find something you love and pursue it. :)
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92