Options

SQL Server 2008: 70-433 (Developer & MCITP)

sammyd253sammyd253 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I am wondering if the book references in Robert's sticky post not only prepare you for the 70-432, but also the 70-433 (development) and related MCITP exams? If not, are their other recommended materials for those other exams?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would say indirectly yes. But certainly not for 2/3 of the objectives. At least for the MCTS Developer I would go with the MS Press book. There just isn't much out there for these exams and I am being too lazy to actually study for them myself and publish my notes.
  • Options
    Alright, well 70-433 aside... Is going for the MCITP for Database Administrator (I believe that's the follow up to 70-432) viable if you really know the recommending reading material?
  • Options
    sammyd253 wrote: »
    Alright, well 70-433 aside... Is going for the MCITP for Database Administrator (I believe that's the follow up to 70-432) viable if you really know the recommending reading material?

Yes. The exam is pretty well balanced. If you know your stuff and think through the questions you should get a good score. I recall thinking the upgrade was very heavy on backup related questions and things about high avail. But that might just have been my impression...
  • Options
    I hear you about the laziness part. It's hard to get motivated for detailed self-studying. Since I just got the 70-432, I think I will focus on the MCITP Database Administrator first before thinking about digging in to the 70-433. I viewed the MCITP categories on Microsoft's site, and it seems similar to the 70-432. What's different, just more in depth questions? Labs? Or are you not allowed to say that on the forums icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was looking at doing the 70-450 next year.. and there really dont seem to be much directly relevent study material, theres a cbt nuggets for it and the only books that mention 450 are the Real world skills and some MS training manual on Amazon for $80...

Think its going to be a case of looking at exam objs and building up study material related to it.

When are you starting on it sammy? if we do it at the same time we could share resources we find :)!
  • Options
    I guess you could say I'm starting right now (I'm motivated right now, have to ride on that). My work just ordered a few SQL books for me, one of them being the real world skills book (also got administrator in action because of all the good reviews I heard). I plan to review both very closely for the MCITP and compile my own notes. I'm not really in a rush to go for the ITP like I was the MCTS, but I'd like to try for it around February/March. I figure that gives a good amount of study time, and if I fail, then I can come back and know what to study more. I'm definitely down for sharing resources when I come across them.
  • Options
    sammyd253 wrote: »
    I hear you about the laziness part. It's hard to get motivated for detailed self-studying. Since I just got the 70-432, I think I will focus on the MCITP Database Administrator first before thinking about digging in to the 70-433. I viewed the MCITP categories on Microsoft's site, and it seems similar to the 70-432. What's different, just more in depth questions? Labs? Or are you not allowed to say that on the forums icon_biggrin.gif

The 433 is for a different type of cert. This is for people who regularly build DBs so it is heavy on T-SQL, syntax, programming concepts, stored procedures, XML, but also has a sub component of administration (much lighter). Check out the skills measured by the exam: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development