Options

Free Opensource Ghost (FOG)

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi TE,

Is anyone out here using FOG? I'm looking online and seeing these great reviews, but I'm not having much luck with it. I was trying to see if anyone else is using this. I don't have much experience with client imaging, so I figured I'm doing something wrong. Any thoughts on the product? Thanks!

-Peanut
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• Options
    I've had some success with it... I was able to find the FOG User Guide which gives me enough info to get some imaging done... in case anyone is interested! icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used this a while back and had some mixed results. The setup is really easy and working with the system itself is a breeze. That being said, if something goes wrong you will really need to understand linux inside and out to troubleshooting this because of all the different technologies being used. When I was using it I was still learning much of command line tasks which made it difficult for me to troubleshoot. They combine PXE boot, DHCP, PHP, MySQL and some unique scripting to provide all the services needed to deploy a system.

If you do know what you are doing however the program is pretty good. I was working for a school district and I was able to image about 500 computers within a day. I'd say give it a try...you have nothing to lose and it sets up in about 10 mins.

Let me know if you have further questions.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've used it with much success. Luckily for me a friend did most of the setup as I'm not very good with installing unix apps. Once it was installed everything was really easy to manage.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It says this supports Vista. Is it safe to assume I can image some PC's with Windows 7 on it?
  • Options
    katierose wrote: »
    It says this supports Vista. Is it safe to assume I can image some PC's with Windows 7 on it?

I'll be able to let you know shortly... I'm currently uploading a Windows 7 (trial version) image and I'm going to deploy it to a couple of virtual machines. I'll post back with my results.

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
  • Options
    Okay... I just finished deploying a Windows 7 image. The upload took rather long (45 minutes) for a 9GB image but I'm using a laptop (wifi) as my Fog Server and Virtual Machines (also on a laptop with Wifi). The download of the image went extremely quick (around 10 minutes).

I ran into a little trouble with the Windows 7 image though. Apparently there is a utility that you must run prior to uploading the image. I didn't see it until after my image was downloaded and bombed out on me. I'm now going to try the fix, upload the image again and see what I can come up with. Also keep in mind, I did not sysprep the Windows 7 image... according to the FOG User guide, it would be nice but it isn't a necessity... I'm going to test it for myself. Again... I'll post when I learn more.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    I demand an update!
  • Options
    txtwistatxtwista Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have FOG packed down if you still need help katierose
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    She hasn't posted here in almost two years I think she got it figured out.