Options

Uptick on passed exams for this

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone noticed that there is a huge surge on people passing this exam the last 2 months? I guess they want to get the "for life" status instead of renewing every 3 years. Btw, taking this exam this Saturday =D

Comments

• Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    That's the reason I took it when I did, however in talking to a lot of coworkers they had no idea about the lifetime status being lost for passes after this year.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Yep...that was my reason too. I've had a few coworkers say they were going for it before the end of the year as well but none have thus far. Good luck!
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    that's the whole reason I'm cramming it in
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    ATL-TECHATL-TECH Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just to be on the safe side, but DOD won't take the old one's only 2011 comptia certs
  • Options
    katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yup, same reason I am doing mine on Dec. 27th. :P
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another good reason to grab it before 2011:
    From: http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/renewal.aspx
    If you do not enroll in continuing education on or before December 31, 2012, or do not comply with CE program policies, or do not complete your CE units within the three year period, you will be required to retake and pass the current exam(s) in order to be certified and opt back into the CE program. Note: If applicable, you will retain any previous “certified for life” status.

I think I might enroll later on for knowledge sake but having that lifetime fall back is always great. It also helps to keep the padding on your resumé :).
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    Another good reason to grab it before 2011:

I think I might enroll later on for knowledge sake but having that lifetime fall back is always great. It also helps to keep the padding on your resumé :).
    Are you saying take it now and after 2011 to obtain both lifetime cert status and DoD compliance?
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you saying take it now and after 2011 to obtain both lifetime cert status and DoD compliance?

DoD will only accept CE program (2011 version) so you have to stay in it if your position requires it (I'm assuming you're going or are in IA/IAT?). If for some reason you fall out of the position and decide not to renew the certs then you'll revert.
  • Options
    futurethat88futurethat88 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    katierose wrote: »
    Yup, same reason I am doing mine on Dec. 27th. :P
    Woo, gl, taking same day. icon_cheers.gif

I have been all over a good friend to get on it with any of them, A+, N+ or S+ but I dont think he will be trying. He already has a good job and is comfortable I guess.

Not gonna lie, it hasn't been easy. Its been rough getting back into the habit/discipline of actually studying.

Me? I want to leave the retail industry forever. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    TrystanQuinnTrystanQuinn Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was under the impression that it's not a requirement to have the 2011 cert for DoD personnel, but to have it BY 2011 (as in 0001 on 01JAN2011) which is why they are in a rush to finish it now.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The way I think it works is that the pre 2011 Sec+ will count but they still have to be in the CE (continuing education) program and still have to either renew the cert by retaking the test or earning enough CE credits. Note that to be in the CE program you have to pay CompTIA a fee which pretty much adds up to the cost of the exam.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Woo, gl, taking same day. icon_cheers.gif

I have been all over a good friend to get on it with any of them, A+, N+ or S+ but I dont think he will be trying. He already has a good job and is comfortable I guess.

Not gonna lie, it hasn't been easy. Its been rough getting back into the habit/discipline of actually studying.

Me? I want to leave the retail industry forever. icon_twisted.gif

i have two friends I keep trying to talk into it.... but to no avail
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    earweed wrote: »
    The way I think it works is that the pre 2011 Sec+ will count but they still have to be in the CE (continuing education) program and still have to either renew the cert by retaking the test or earning enough CE credits. Note that to be in the CE program you have to pay CompTIA a fee which pretty much adds up to the cost of the exam.

Its a little cheaper than the cost of the exam. Full price if I'm not mistaken is somewhere in the $239 range for sec+, to renew for three years is $49 a year, effectively $147, and that also renews A+ and Net+ if you have them.

Also, if I read this correctly, if you enroll in CE prior to 90 days passing after passing Sec+ you can count that exam towards your CEUs. I THINK.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also, if I read this correctly, if you enroll in CE prior to 90 days passing after passing Sec+ you can count that exam towards your CEUs. I THINK.

This is not correct.

Lets look part of R2S's link to CompTIA (which I also posted earlier as well) together...see my notes in read:

If I’m considered “certified for life” and want to participate in continuing education (CE) what do I need to know?
    • For those certified on or before December 31, 2010 individuals must enroll in the continuing education (CE) program on or before December 31, 2012. (ERP Note: If you certified BEFORE the end of the year in Security+ you have until 2012 to enroll in the CE program.)
    • You have three years from the date of enrollment in the CE program to complete the appropriate level of continuing education units to receive a new CE designation. For example, if you were previously CompTIA A+ certified, you will retain that certification for life upon completion of the A+ CE program, and you will also receive a CompTIA A+CE certification.
    • By enrolling and completing your CE program you will obtain this new CE certification. You will be held to the policies related to certification renewal and the CE program. Therefore, this new CE certification would expire three years from the date of achieving it through the CE program.
    • If you do not enroll in continuing education on or before December 31, 2012, or do not comply with CE program policies, or do not complete your CE units within the three year period, you will be required to retake and pass the current exam(s) in order to be certified and opt back into the CE program. Note: If applicable, you will retain any previous “certified for life” status. (ERP Note: If you do nothing before 2012, then you must retake the ALL of your CompTIAs to get the CE designation IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN HAVING THE CURRENT CERT.)
    • Qualified CE activities can be submitted for units if they occurred or were completed within 90 days prior to enrollment into CE. (ERP Note, it's 90 days before paying to participate in the CE program. So if you passed the CISSP on January 1, 2011 and you enrolled March 30, 2011 in the CE program, your CISSP counts for CE units.)
    So, now what happens if you are part of the CompTIA Trinity? Good question:

I hold multiple CompTIA certifications. Am I required to renew each of them?
    • No. Individuals with multiple CompTIA certifications will be prompted to renew at their highest level of certification held. For example, someone who holds CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications would be required to meet only the continuing education requirements for CompTIA Security+. Completion of CE for CompTIA Security+ would grant the participant with a CompTIA Security+CE, and simultaneously grant a new CompTIA A+CE and CompTIA Network+CE.
    So in summary, not only do I, personally, have until the end of 2012 to bring all of my certs to the CE level (if I pay for that), but if I only do it for Security+, then A+ and Network+ will be brought up as well. If I did something that would give me units within 90 days before I entered the CE program, it would count. Since I'm not an 8570 guy, this is useless, as I don't plan on giving CompTIA anymore money. The 8570 folks, this IS useful, and that's why we're seeing the uptick.
  • Options
    From what you quoted, it looks my statement is true. Maybe i'm missing something, can you clarify why say, I wouldn't be able to enroll in CE right now and get the CEUs for passing Sec+ and Net+ credited to my account because I passed them both in the last 90 days.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you DOD where you need to get them every 3 years?
    Yeah they should count if you got in the CE program now. But unless you're DOD then those certs are yours for life, already earned and paid for and CompTIA doesn't deserve to get anymore of your money unless 8570 makes you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Are you DOD where you need to get them every 3 years?
    Yeah they should count if you got in the CE program now. But unless you're DOD then those certs are yours for life, already earned and paid for and CompTIA doesn't deserve to get anymore of your money unless 8570 makes you.

Me? No, I'm not 8570, but I also didn't say i was doing it, i was just pointing out that your statement of it costing about the same as the test was incorrect. Its not really close. It's much cheaper.
  • Options
    From what you quoted, it looks my statement is true. Maybe i'm missing something, can you clarify why say, I wouldn't be able to enroll in CE right now and get the CEUs for passing Sec+ and Net+ credited to my account because I passed them both in the last 90 days.

Take a look again at that chart in the CompTIA renewnal link. You need to complete 50 CEUs to update the Security+ link. Once you have 50 CEUs, you have not only Security+ updated but the A+ and Network+ as well.
    Passing the Security+ wouldn't mean you have CEUs, it means that you're going to be able to qualify to update that cert under the CE guidelines.

Unless you are 8570, this is personally moot and IMHO a waste of time and/or money. If one were to get a MCITP:EA, a CCNA/CCNP, and a CISSP, that pretty much is going to make A+, Network+ and Security+ a tad bit moot (maybe by just a smidge...lmao). This really isn't for folks outside of the 8570 guidelines.
  • Options
    jvhall83jvhall83 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    i have two friends I keep trying to talk into it.... but to no avail

Yeah i know how you all feel. Im in school for my associates right now and encouraging everyone in my program to get their certs heck even offering them the study material that i have but to no avail cept for 2 people. ahh well icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Okay so this section...

Obtaining an industry certification relevant to the highest level CompTIA certification achieved 15/20/40 CEUs for CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+, respectively Proof of certification from certification body

...doesn't mean that you get 40 for completing Sec+, it means you get 40 for completing something RELEVANT to it? See that's where I was confused, I read that as being able to get CEUs for taking and passing those specific exams. Sadly ive been to that chart like 10 times, and each time i saw that the same way.

Bother...
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Ummm, yeah.

Think about it, why would you need proof from CompTIA itself to give to CompTIA?

They have to be talking about another security cert, like the SSCP or CISSP or something, not it's own test.

Yes thank you for making my mistake even MORE blatantly obvious and making me feel WORSE about missing it AFTER I've ALREADY admitted to making the mistake on a public forum...
  • Options
    Yes thank you for making my mistake even MORE blatantly obvious and making me feel WORSE about missing it AFTER I've ALREADY admitted to making the mistake on a public forum...

Wasn't my intent sir, and my apologies. I was seriously trying to help clear up your confusion, not sound like a jerk on the Internet.

I will go ahead delete the offending post.
  • Options
    michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    I was able to get them to count my passing of Security+ in December 2010 towards CE. Don't know if they should have or not, but they did. When I first asked their help desk about it, they told me it would auto generate after I enrolled in CE and paid CE fees. When that didn't work, they told me to select Security+ in their drop down of CE units. All of the Comptia certs, other than A+, Network+, and Security+ are in there. It took a month, many emails and phone calls, and finally got CE credit last Friday.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4