Options

2 now 3 week notice

ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
Originally, i wanted to do a 3 week notice because of the thanksgiving holiday, but the new employer asked for a me to start sooner, so I gave a 2 week notice. The morning of my last day, the new employer asked me to push it back a week since they were not ready for me to start yet. Since it would help them out and my current employer could use me for another week I said OK after OKing it with a couple of people. It's been harder then I thought. Starting to wish I would have taken the week off.
Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    Originally, i wanted to do a 3 week notice because of the thanksgiving holiday, but the new employer asked for a me to start sooner, so I gave a 2 week notice. The morning of my last day, the new employer asked me to push it back a week since they were not ready for me to start yet. Since it would help them out and my current employer could use me for another week I said OK after OKing it with a couple of people. It's been harder then I thought. Starting to wish I would have taken the week off.

I think you should of stuck to your guns. Unless you have some contract where you have to specifically give them 3 weeks, giving them the customerary two weeks notice is PLENTY.

All the whining in the world wouldn't of kept me there. Now if they would of bucked up and added a few more dollars per hour for that week I would of considered it. I think people need to negotitate more often in those situations. Rarely do you hold the upper hand.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That would have messed with my head big time, if somebody said they wanted me to start a week later I would probably panic a bit.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    When going from one job to the next I really think it's important to it least take a week off for yourself to get mentally prepared. Although, I don't recommend taking a month off in between. Although that wasn't planned with one of my moves, it did happen. Was kinda sweet sitting around for a month and catching up on my gaming. :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    When going from one job to the next I really think it's important to it least take a week off for yourself to get mentally prepared.

My last job change was about 2 days. Finished on a Saturday and started on Monday. That was fine for me. Sure some time off is always nice, but I needed the money and thats just the way it fell. No complaints here.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    That would have messed with my head big time, if somebody said they wanted me to start a week later I would probably panic a bit.

Yeah it sounds a little unprofessional and disorganized in my eyes. Unless there was a serious event that caused it. Especially if a new employee is trying to schedule leaving the old job.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565

I don't know, it's kind of a case by case thing. When I started working for a school system several years ago, the tech director and I initially agreed I'd start on the 16th of the month. I had almost finished typing up my letter of resignation to my old employer, when she called me up and said the human resources director had just reminded her that all new hires have to be approved my the school board, and they didn't meet until the 18th, so just to be safe, could I start the following Monday.

If they gave a decent reason, I probably wouldn't think any of it. But if they just said "we're not ready for you", that might make me a little leary, however.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I think you're doing the right thing and probably deserve very good references. Hope things go well at the new job!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I think you should of stuck to your guns. Unless you have some contract where you have to specifically give them 3 weeks, giving them the customerary two weeks notice is PLENTY.

All the whining in the world wouldn't of kept me there. Now if they would of bucked up and added a few more dollars per hour for that week I would of considered it. I think people need to negotitate more often in those situations. Rarely do you hold the upper hand.

The new employer asked me to wait a week, I didn't want to upset them and was told they would appreciate if if I waited and I couldn't afford to take a week of unpaid 'vacation'.

Scared the crap out of me. Felt better after I talked to the coordinator on Tuesday.
    Aldur wrote: »
    When going from one job to the next I really think it's important to it least take a week off for yourself to get mentally prepared. Although, I don't recommend taking a month off in between. Although that wasn't planned with one of my moves, it did happen. Was kinda sweet sitting around for a month and catching up on my gaming. :D

I took a day off between my last job and my current one. Turned out to be a very bad day. --> 9/11/2001.

A weekend without having to check a blackberry will be enough.
    Andy

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    The new employer asked me to wait a week, I didn't want to upset them and was told they would appreciate if if I waited and I couldn't afford to take a week of unpaid 'vacation'.

I gotcha.

That's scarier than I originally thought.

Anyway good luck hope the job goes extremely well!
  • Options
    Came across this old thread, while looking for something else.

Found out months after I started that the new employer didn't know that any of that happened. The recruiting contract agency was trying to get me there an extra week to get more money and didn't work the details out with the employer, so they were the ones screwing with me. Wasn't the only problem i had with that agency and I will never use them again.
    Andy

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That update is worth the respawn. More proof that 90% of recruiters/agencies are the scum of the Earth.