Folder Redirection

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
So what happens if I use the Advanced folder redirection and set it up where one group maps to one area and another group maps to a second location, and then my user is a member of both groups. Where will their files go?
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Lab it up and let us know! ;)
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gateway wrote: »
    Lab it up and let us know! ;)

I'll probably set it up this weekend when I have more time. My guess is that there is some order it follows and it is either going to follow the first entry or the last entry.

I'll let everyone know after I do it.
  • GosU-TecHGosU-TecH Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I'll probably set it up this weekend when I have more time. My guess is that there is some order it follows and it is either going to follow the first entry or the last entry.

I'll let everyone know after I do it.

It's going to follow the first entry. I.e. if the user is a member of the finance group and HR group, and these are the security groups used for advanced redirection (i.e. item-level targeting, very similar to GPO preferences), the Finance group would be used first. Easiest solution is to keep the redirection GPOs targeted to specific OUs if you're worried about multiple group membership and the users must be members of both groups.

Else, you could take it one step further, create two nested groups that would provide the same features from both security groups, but one would apply the HR folder redirection policy, and the other would apply the Finance redirection policy (from the example above). However, this would be very difficult to manage in a large environment, hence why OU level redirection policies would be the preferred method.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GosU-TecH wrote: »
    It's going to follow the first entry.

Good call, my testing confirms that. It surprises me that they don't have move up/down buttons so that you can rearrange the order.

My user that was in both the marketing and sales groups was mapped out to the marketing redirection point. The user in marketing also went to marketing and the user in sales went to sales.
  • DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Good call, my testing confirms that.

Good work testing it out. Good to know.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age