Options

Best IT Career for 2011 (article)

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Saw this on my email from MCPMag.com. Take it however you want to.

Best IT Careers for 2011
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Wow! I dont think there is any way that a Help Desk position, has an average salary of 44,000 per year. Wow! I cant really say much more. Wow!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Wow! I dont think there is any way that a Help Desk position, has an average salary of 44,000 per year. Wow! I cant really say much more. Wow!

Our state helpdesk/desktop support people make more than that. But...they also might be on rotation into other roles.

Help Desk can be pretty broad though.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Yeah, it does sound a bit high in my opinion.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    My previous job as a tier 2 help desk person was paying me $50k+ a year. Tier 1's started out around $43k.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    My previous job as a tier 2 help desk person was paying me $50k+ a year. Tier 1's started out around $43k.

I knew people making over $30 an hour doing tier 1 at my old job.
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're lucky to get a tier 1 help desk job that pays 12+ now.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Like I said...Help Desk and even Tier 1, like other roles can be pretty broad. Someone that resets passwords 90% of the time and submits tickets is just as much help desk as someone that can do all that, remote into your computer, fiddle in active directory and make changes to network hardware.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In the early 2000s, I remember when Tier 1 was about $37k-$39k and Tier 2 (what I was) was $40k-$42k. Keep in mind though this was NYC-metro.

Some were in the $50k-$60k range (yes, Virginia, for help desk!)
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    edzy wrote: »
    You're lucky to get a tier 1 help desk job that pays 12+ now.

Well, since I am out of work i'm looking at L1 spots right now to make ends meet. I haven't seen a job posting at less than $16 an hour for the absolute bare minimum desk. Guess it just depends on where you are in the country.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The need for network architects continues to grow as firms look to become more efficient with technology.

Works for me icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would have guessed that network architect would be high. Software Engineering also. Glad to see it :)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    Wait, 50K for helpdesk? Forget my job, I'll take phone calls again for that salary :p *cringe*
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Well, since I am out of work i'm looking at L1 spots right now to make ends meet. I haven't seen a job posting at less than $16 an hour for the absolute bare minimum desk. Guess it just depends on where you are in the country.

Agreed. In NY, most help desk jobs start are 9-12. The listings that offer more usually want 3+ years of experience + a degree
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    in my area, all the help desk jobs I have seen posted range from $11 something up to $13.75...

geek squad is $12.50 an hour...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea we should keep in mind the location when listing salary numbers
  • Options
    DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I currently work in help desk and make well over $44k, and so do my help desk peers. A few of us are in the high $70's, and the lowest paid guy is in the mid $60's iirc. To be fair, we have quite a bit of responsibilities... we are basically jr sys admins.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA