Options

Starting study / preparation for 70-210

mark_pizamark_piza Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've just finished my A+ and now i'm beginning my preparation for the 70-210 exam. I've never sat a M$ exam before so I don't know really what to expect??

I have undertaken the M$ official training courses for this exam already (2151 & 2152), so I have the MOC to study with. I have also already got the exam objectives from the M$ site.

I'm just wondering if this material (MOC), technotes on this site and others, and practice exams, would be enough to prepare for this exam?? I found the A+ exams pretty easy, but I know the M$ exams are a whole new ball game. I also have about 3 years experience in IT.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks! icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Should be. Make sure you get hands-on practice with Win2K Pro. Do the labs in the MOC. You'll do fine. :)
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you work in a Windows 2000 environment now? I used Transcenders, CBTNuggets, Sybex book, and practice tests on this site and I passed the first time around.
  • Options
    Yeah I currently work in a Win2K/XP environment with about 30 users. The majority of the workstations are now XP, but I know XP is very similar to 2K anyway.

I noticed also that a lot of people who have did this exam already, have said they got a lot of questions on DHCP, DNS, and subnets. According to the exam objectives on the M$ site though, they are not listed at all. Did anyone else get these topics covered on there exam? I would of thought they would be covered on the Win2K Server exam (70-215).

One last thing, did anyone here get questions on working out subnets manually without a subnet calculator?? This is also not listed in the M$ objectives.

Thanks in advance! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The objective "Configure and troubleshoot the TCP/IP protocol." includes DHCP, DNS, subnets, as in settings on the client side and basic concepts.

You won't need to 'calculate' subnets on the 210 exam. If you know the ranges for the class A, B, and C addresses you'll be able to figure it out without having to use a (subnet-)calculator.
  • Options
    OK sounds easy enough. So basically knowing the IP address ranges for each class and there default subnets is enough. Obviously with that information, a network ID and a host ID of an IP address can be determined easily.

Is that pretty much all I will need to know about subnetting for this exam?

Thanks again! icon_wink.gif