Options

Quick question

civscukcivscuk Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All

Just a quick question...

Trying to study for A+ Core... bewildered by the amount have to learn.. but do we have to learn the ATA/ATAPI standards and what was introduced at each stage? The same sort of question for SCSI standards...

I think I know the answer but hope to be wrong!

Cheers for now

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    No, not that in depth. You can see what you do need to know with the objectives. Also, try some practice exams, they will give you an idea.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    I would reccommend learning the SCSI standards (they're actually pretty easy), but the ATA/ATAPI standards aren't important, just know what ATA is.
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005
  • Options
    Whew! That's a relief! SCSI I think I can handle, but that's exactly what I wanted to hear.. thank guys...

Off to study my networks now.................
  • Options
    Tis me again.. just another quick question(!)

Been trying to get my head around networking... is it important to know the OSI model and IEEE 802 Project Models? The book I am currently reading (A+ Complete by David Groth, Sybex) has 5 pages on these things and I'm finding it hard to take it in to be honest... but can't really see much on the A+ exam objectives.. is it safe to disregard this?

Cheers

Steve
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    No way!!! The OSI is the standard model for networking. If you don't know the OSI, you won't get very far in networking. And for IEEE, have an understanding of the more common standards, 802.2, 802.3, 802.5, etc...
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    The OSI model has been necessary for a large number of exams I've taken. You definitely need to learn it. Build the foundation now so it'll be easier on subsequent exams.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    oh dear, this time it's not what I wanted to hear! Ah well, seeing that I intend to take the Network+ eventually, I suppose now is a good time as any to get my head around it... all this memorisation needed is giving me a headache!

Thanks anyway

Steve
  • Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    civscuk wrote:
    oh dear, this time it's not what I wanted to hear! Ah well, seeing that I intend to take the Network+ eventually, I suppose now is a good time as any to get my head around it... all this memorisation needed is giving me a headache!

Thanks anyway

Steve

Remember, you're not just memorizing for an exam... this is stuff that you need to know for your career. Build a good foundation now so subsequent exams will be easier. If you simply memorize and forget, you'll have a larger mountain to climb each time.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    ah yes, but things like cables and number of pins etc.. I've always been a bit of that cable goes there etc knowing where each cable goes, but now I have to know how many pins, what ports, maximum speeds, the IRQ, the DMA, what colour pants the tech is wearing etc etc... it's making it more difficult than the simple thing it is half the time(!)

But that's the A+ for you.. I've got the IRQs, DMAs I?O addresses etc in my head now (whether it stays there during the exam is another matter) and am still trying to cram all this extra info in that may pop up... but like you say, it's all a good basis for future career...

Cheers anyway

Steve