Options

11k in 2k11

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I know 2k10 isn't over but I also know there is no chance I am going to hit the 10k pages challenge. I was wondering if anyone is down for starting an 11k challenge for 2k11? We have a 2 week head start so it should be doable lolicon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Count me in. icon_cheers.gif

I started a week ago but I'm keeping my pages icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm down. We should create a badge in our sigs for those participating haha.
  • Options

I like that idea!
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    I am in! I normally keep track of minutes studied instead of pages read, but I will join and keep track of pages!
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This can only end in tears as the years progress. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Count me in too, I know this is a very tough ask for me (very busy at work), but I'll give it a decent shot. BTW, how would count web pages? Or is this only paper-based reading? Is this any kind of reading or tech reading only?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    This will definitely add to my motivation to study. Count me in!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm kind of doubting this will work for me. Once college is over I will be all over it... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I'm kind of doubting this will work for me. Once college is over I will be all over it... icon_wink.gif

School should make it easier to do. icon_wink.gif

Essendon wrote: »
    Count me in too, I know this is a very tough ask for me (very busy at work), but I'll give it a decent shot. BTW, how would count web pages? Or is this only paper-based reading? Is this any kind of reading or tech reading only?

I don't think it will be that bad.

Web pages will be determined by the actual page length in Arial 12 point font double spaced in your favorite word processor. Or you can just estimate it lol. It doesn't have to be all IT related and electronic reading counts (of course). Just go for it. I will only tally mine up when I hit a 100 mark.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    School should make it easier to do. icon_wink.gif

Should be... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    netpcdocnetpcdoc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will join in, I just picked up the Windows 2008 Resource Kit The 7 books there should get me at least 1/2 way there.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

Only if you met the goal in 2010 ;)
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I am up for the challange
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm in.

As a full time college it shouldn't be too much more than I'm already doing. For 2010 I'm close to 8,000 and I didn't start keeping track until May or June. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    where's the 100k crew icon_study.gif
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If webpages and stuff count then all my technet reading should be added then I'd have met, and exceeded, the 10,00 for this year. I did a lot of technet reading.
    I guess I'll throw myself in for next year also.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Amco wrote: »
    where's the 100k crew icon_study.gif

Congrats on finishing the CWSP icon_cool.gif

I am glad so many people are willing to go for this. Awesome! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Congrats on finishing the CWSP icon_cool.gif

I am glad so many people are willing to go for this. Awesome! icon_cheers.gif

Don't expect me to sign up when its 99k in 2099...icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ill throw my hat in on this one as well.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    Don't expect me to sign up when its 99k in 2099...icon_lol.gif

You'll be retired then with a robotic liver. Plenty of time to read!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Count me in on this too! I did pretty good with the 10k challenge this year so I'm hoping to actually beat it for 2k11.

I like the badge idea...do we have any good graphical artists here? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    This will make the 3rd year for this challenge.

I think it is a terrific idea and very positive.

A few points:
    1. The challenge should remain a 10K page challenge (of a book) as it was started. Once people start blowing that goal away, we can increase it. Besides there is no limit to what you read...just to break 10K icon_study.gif

2. It is to begin Jan 1, 2011. Starting early defeats the point. So anything read this year...counts for this year's total...but don't let that stop you from reading.

3. Everything counts (book-like) that is. Textbooks, novel, journal (something more than a few pages), technical, fiction, non-fiction etc..

4. Have fun with it! 27.5 pages a day or 38.5 pages (M-F only)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You guys are crazy!!!

I don't think I could keep track, I am constenlty reading PDF, and web sites, but how do you have time to add it all up?

While I would love to know how much I really do read I dont have the disipline to carry out keeping track.

And hold on are you saying every thing counts?? if it is fiction / non fiction what ever then this is not as hard as I first thought. How about the newspaper on the way to work ? Thats 15 to 20 pages every day? Add on one copy of the new scientist a week. Three magazine subscriptions a month. A novel or two, and thats before we get to Studying? Already looking at 700 + pages a month. and you only need to average 840 to beat the target.

I am sure if you where going to do this you would only want to included IT, tecnical related material.

Personal My goal for 2011 is to get back in to my CCNP now I am seatling in to the new job, and add 100'000+ words to my blog.

I still on holiday from that untill Jan the 1st though :)

but to every one who takes part in the 11K challange good luck :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    That sounds like an insane goal until you realize it's only 30 pages a day. I'm in - if you included content read on TE.net it would make things a lot easier. :D
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I might try this; Need to get back on track as I've fallen a bit stagnant in the past few months. I'll be putting most of my efforts into the JLPT though.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So I know 2k10 isn't over but I also know there is no chance I am going to hit the 10k pages challenge. I was wondering if anyone is down for starting an 11k challenge for 2k11? We have a 2 week head start so it should be doable lolicon_study.gif

I get where the 11k comes into play, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to increase the pages read when so few of the forum members have (or are still planning on) met/meeting the 10k count.

idk, just a thought. But certainly count me in. I'm not sure I can do it, but I'll at least keep a tally.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Repo Man wrote: »
    Count me in. icon_cheers.gif

I started a week ago but I'm keeping my pages icon_lol.gif

I have to call shenanigans on this. You can't start your 2011 page count in early December. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I get where the 11k comes into play, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to increase the pages read when so few of the forum members have (or are still planning on) met/meeting the 10k count.

idk, just a thought. But certainly count me in. I'm not sure I can do it, but I'll at least keep a tally.

That's why I added an extra few weeks. Think of it as 11k by EOY 2k11.
  • Options
    AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Off topic:

What did you think about the CWSP?

A killer but I did learn a lot about Wireless Security and all the authentication methods.