2»

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    You guys are crazy!!!

Yep, but that makes you one too ;)

j/k

I don't think I could keep track, I am constenlty reading PDF, and web sites, but how do you have time to add it all up?
    Giant poster board and every family member gets a column, simply write the book and the page count, every once in a while...add the pages.

It stinks because the kids sail through their books, but it works fine.
    While I would love to know how much I really do read I dont have the disipline to carry out keeping track.

And hold on are you saying every thing counts?? if it is fiction / non fiction what ever then this is not as hard as I first thought. How about the newspaper on the way to work ? Thats 15 to 20 pages every day? Add on one copy of the new scientist a week. Three magazine subscriptions a month. A novel or two, and thats before we get to Studying? Already looking at 700 + pages a month. and you only need to average 840 to beat the target.

I am sure if you where going to do this you would only want to included IT, tecnical related material.

As mentioned, this topic (the 10K challenge) is entering its 3rd year.

Some of the inital comments were that IT people will ONLY read IT books and then it created a very narrow focus for them (us)...so by adding any book...it may encourage one to pickup a fiction book on occassion. If you prefer, only read your texts, but after a while, a change of reading might be fun.

Personal My goal for 2011 is to get back in to my CCNP now I am seatling in to the new job, and add 100'000+ words to my blog.

I still on holiday from that untill Jan the 1st though :)

but to every one who takes part in the 11K challange good luck :)

I'd still stick with the 10K because than things will be consistant. If someone wishes to go for 11K, they can easily just keep reading. It's (10K pages) a 'goal' not a finish line.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I have to call shenanigans on this. You can't start your 2011 page count in early December. icon_rolleyes.gif

I made a similar comment earlier. Technically, we are still in the 2010 reading contest. 2011 begins on Jan 1 and the calcuation rolls to zero for all.

Anyone can say that they read any amount of pages they wish, but I'm strongly recommending the 10K goal for 365 days. If you read more, than you beat the goal. If you read less...try harder.

It is fantastic folks are excited to begin reading, but the current contest doesn't expire until Dec 31, so all reading being done now is for 2010. (you may play the scenerio in your head any way you wish, but we're still in 2010 icon_twisted.gif )
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    netpcdoc wrote: »
    I will join in, I just picked up the Windows 2008 Resource Kit The 7 books there should get me at least 1/2 way there.

Same here so I guess this means I'm in also :)

It really adds the 'fun' factor into reading 1000pg pdfs on my iPad.

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    netpcdocnetpcdoc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    David, we are on the same page here. I am actually reading and replying to this now in my iPad.
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Count me in, this will keep me motivated in my MCSE 2003 quest.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    agpltagplt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like this idea ! it will be big motivation and quite a big challenge for me icon_thumright.gif Count me in either ! :)
    Currently working on:
    - CCNA
    Future plans:
    - CCNA Security
    - CCNA Voice

Currently reading:

- Todd Lammle “CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801)
    Currently watching:
    - CBTnuggets Cisco 640-822 Jeremy Cioara

2011 10k challenge
    Pages read: 137
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I will try my best to keep up :D
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□